Converting SQL Server "bit" field to a CLR boolean-- has to be a better way

Jim Bancroft

I'm using the DataBinder.Eval() method to output the value of a SQL Server
bit field. In order to convert this value to a boolean I go through the
machination below. So far it's the only way I've been able to make this to
work; every other attempt yields an illegal-conversion or other syntax
error:

<%# Convert.ToBoolean(Convert.ToByte(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
"myBitField"))) %>

This snippet does the job (or at least in my tests it does), but it can't be
the most efficient way to go....can it?

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Jim Bancroft said:
I'm using the DataBinder.Eval() method to output the value of a SQL Server
bit field. In order to convert this value to a boolean I go through the
machination below. So far it's the only way I've been able to make this to
work; every other attempt yields an illegal-conversion or other syntax
error:

<%# Convert.ToBoolean(Convert.ToByte(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
"myBitField"))) %>

This snippet does the job (or at least in my tests it does), but it can't be
the most efficient way to go....can it?

I suggest you log what
DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "myBitField").GetType() returns -
that should let you know what's actually there, which will make it
easier to work out what to do with it.