Converting Swing components to SWT

Robert Dodier

Hi,

I wonder if there is some straightforward way (automated or not)
to convert Swing components to SWT. If there is a program to
do it automatically, great, but if there are just some written
instructions to follow by hand, that's great too.

Searching around the web I found this: http://www.swtguibuilder.com
Haven't tried it; didn't find anything else.

Any light you can shed on this question is much appreciated.

Robert Dodier

Vitaly

Yes, such converter can be written. I did such tool for my prev. company.
And now I plan to develop this tool in some language (Java, C#, C++,
etc.),
pieces of the code are ready. There are two approaches to AWT->SWING
conversion:
- convert Java sources, for this you should develop a Java source language
parser;
- substitute all references to AWT components with some classes that
imitate
behaviour AWT classes with SWING API. This should be a parser of bytecode
that modifies all Java application binary files to be converted.

Robert Dodier said:
Hi,

I wonder if there is some straightforward way (automated or not)
to convert Swing components to SWT. If there is a program to
do it automatically, great, but if there are just some written
instructions to follow by hand, that's great too.

Searching around the web I found this: http://www.swtguibuilder.com
Haven't tried it; didn't find anything else.

Any light you can shed on this question is much appreciated.

Robert Dodier

I'm protected by SpamBrave
http://www.spambrave.com/

Robert Dodier

Yes, such converter can be written. I did such tool for my prev. company.
And now I plan to develop this tool in some language (Java, C#, C++,
etc.), pieces of the code are ready. There are two approaches to
AWT->SWING conversion:
- convert Java sources, for this you should develop a Java source language
parser;
- substitute all references to AWT components with some classes that
imitate behaviour AWT classes with SWING API. This should be a parser
of bytecode that modifies all Java application binary files to be converted.

Vitaly, thanks for your reply. Actually what I am looking for is
something a little different. I have a Swing application and
I would like for it to use SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit) instead.

I am guessing that there is some kind of a correspondence
between Swing and SWT classes. It would be perfectly fine by
me to carry out the conversion by hand, if only there were
some document which lays out the correspondence.

All the best,
Robert Dodier