Converting TeX tokens into characters

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jonathan Fine, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. I'm sort of wishing to convert TeX tokens into characters.

    We can assume the standard (i.e. plain) category codes.
    And that the characters are to be written to a file.

    This proceess to take place outside of TeX.
    Say in a Python program.

    Think of a pretty-printer.
    * Read the TeX in as tokens.
    * Write the TeX out as characters.

    My present interest is in the writer part.

    And I'd very much prefer to have human-editable output.

    So the writer should have methods for
    * Writing a string (not containing control sequences).
    * Writing a control sequence (or control symbol).

    And, like humans, it should also have a line length limit.

    Does anyone know of such a writer? Or something close?

    Or any projects that could use such a writer?

    --
    Jonathan
    Jonathan Fine, Jun 29, 2005