    What's the best and fastest way to approach converting a large HTML
    site to XML? Thanks.
    , Apr 18, 2004

  2. wrote:

    > What's the best and fastest way to approach converting a large HTML
    > site to XML?

    That rather depends on what dialect of XML you wish to convert the HTML to,
    what form the HTML is at present, and what your skills are.

    I would probably do something involving Perl, File::Find, HTML::parser or
    HTML::TreeBuilder, and one of the many XML modules for Perl.

    David Dorward, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 18 Apr 2004 08:55:43 -0700, wrote:

    >What's the best and fastest way to approach converting a large HTML
    >site to XML? Thanks.

    HTML Tidy is a good start (assuming your target is XHTML)

    Then go to c.i.w.a.h and ask "Why ?"

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Apr 19, 2004

    Andy Dingley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 18 Apr 2004 08:55:43 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >What's the best and fastest way to approach converting a large HTML
    > >site to XML? Thanks.

    > HTML Tidy is a good start (assuming your target is XHTML)
    >
    > Then go to c.i.w.a.h and ask "Why ?"

    Hello,

    Thank you for your suggestion regarding converting to XHTML. I am new
    to using these groups, however, and just looked up c.i.w.a.h! Very
    interesting—and I don't think I'll ask.

    Regards

    LQ
    , Apr 20, 2004
  5. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 19 Apr 2004 19:27:59 -0700, wrote:

    >Thank you for your suggestion regarding converting to XHTML. I am new
    >to using these groups, however, and just looked up c.i.w.a.h! Very
    >interesting—and I don't think I'll ask.

    :cool:

    c.i.w.a.h is one of the most unfriendly groups I know of, and
    certainly the most useless and downright hostile that I still bother
    to read. "Converting to XHTML" is a regular topic in there and
    searching will show up some interesting discussion of its benefits, or
    lack of them. However many people in there have egos bigger than
    their knowledge and will spout the same old party line with more
    volume than understanding.

    HTML Tidy is open sourced, AFAIR, and if you have a huge number of
    files to convert, you can tie the source into your favourite choice of
    scripting language.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Apr 20, 2004

    Andy Dingley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 19 Apr 2004 19:27:59 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you for your suggestion regarding converting to XHTML. I am new
    > >to using these groups, however, and just looked up c.i.w.a.h! Very
    > >interesting?and I don't think I'll ask.

    > :cool:
    >
    > c.i.w.a.h is one of the most unfriendly groups I know of, and
    > certainly the most useless and downright hostile that I still bother
    > to read. "Converting to XHTML" is a regular topic in there and
    > searching will show up some interesting discussion of its benefits, or
    > lack of them. However many people in there have egos bigger than
    > their knowledge and will spout the same old party line with more
    > volume than understanding.
    >
    > HTML Tidy is open sourced, AFAIR, and if you have a huge number of
    > files to convert, you can tie the source into your favourite choice of
    > scripting language.

    I guess it couldn't hurt to see what they have to say! Thanks again
    for the info. HTML Tidy may come in handy.
    , Apr 22, 2004