    os....how can??i am search in google... but not clearly...pls help me
    any one.........

    , Mar 8, 2009

  2. James Kanze Guest

    On Mar 8, 12:26 pm, wrote:

    > i am newer of linux,
    > i have a windows vc++ code...is it possible to complie the linux
    > os....how can??i am search in google... but not clearly...pls help me
    > any one.........

    The C++ code shouldn't cause any problems. Any system calls,
    etc., and any use of Microsoft extensions will, however. If
    you're aware of the problem up front, of course, these will be
    well encapsulated, and you'll just have to rewrite the couple of
    modules which contains them. If you didn't do this, you'll
    first have to refactor the code to do it, then port the
    refactored code.

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:

    James Kanze, Mar 8, 2009

  3. Ivan Guest

    On Mar 8, 7:26 pm, wrote:
    > Hai,
    > i am newer of linux,
    >  i have a windows  vc++ code...is it possible to complie the linux
    > os....how can??i am search in google... but not clearly...pls help me
    > any one.........

    There are some levels about platform depended and none-depended.

    C++ program following standard C++ language and utilizing C++ standard
    library will port to other platform very easy. But in my options, VC++
    doesn't following C++ standard fully, so if you port these program to
    linux platform, there will be small modification.

    If your window program, using Socket, or window Thread, you can change
    them to linux socket, posix thread, etc...

    If your window program utilizes some operating feature, you must found
    the counterpart in linux.

    Porting your program from one platform to another is a requiring
    knowledge job. If you first to achieve this, you need more knowledge
    about this platform and keep study and will become more experienced.

    You can Google "porting" for more introduction about this issue.

    Ivan, Mar 9, 2009

    On Mar 8, 7:48 am, Jeff Schwab <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > i am newer of linux,
    > >  i have a windows  vc++ code...is it possible to complie the linux
    > > os....how can??i am search in google... but not clearly...pls help me
    > > any one.........

    > The Linux kernel is tied to GCC.  I'm not aware of Linux ever having
    > been compiled by anything but gcc.

    It has been compiled with ICC (Intel's compilers).

    , Mar 10, 2009
  5. Bo Persson Guest

    Jeff Schwab wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>> The Linux kernel is tied to GCC. I'm not aware of Linux ever
    >>> having been compiled by anything but gcc.

    >> It has been compiled with ICC (Intel's compilers).

    > Thanks; I had heard something like that, and forgotten it.
    >
    > http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-compiler-for-linux-kernel-building/
    >
    > Intel must really have jumped through some hoops for this.

    They claim that their compiler is a drop in replacement for gcc. How
    else would they prove that?

    The other compiler manufacturers seem a lot less interested in
    compiling Linux kernels anyway. :)

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Mar 10, 2009

    On Mar 9, 7:06 pm, Ivan <> wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 7:26 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > Hai,
    > > i am newer of linux,
    > >  i have a windows  vc++ code...is it possible to complie the linux
    > > os....how can??i am search in google... but not clearly...pls help me
    > > any one.........

    > There are some levels about platform depended and none-depended.
    >
    > C++ program following standard C++ language and utilizing C++ standard
    > library will port to other platform very easy. But in my options, VC++
    > doesn't following C++ standard fully, so if you port these program to
    > linux platform, there will be small modification.
    >
    > If your window program, using Socket, or window Thread, you can change
    > them to linux socket, posix thread, etc...
    >
    > If your window program utilizes some operating feature, you must found
    > the counterpart in linux.
    >
    > Porting your program from one platform to another is a requiring
    > knowledge job. If you first to achieve this, you need more knowledge
    > about this platform and keep study and will become more experienced.
    >
    > You can Google "porting" for more introduction about this issue.

    ya,my vc++ code is using socket programming..we can change ...
    pls help me any one

    , Mar 10, 2009

    On Mar 8, 4:26 pm, wrote:
    > Hai,
    > i am newer of linux,
    >  i have a windows  vc++ code...is it possible to complie the linux
    > os....how can??i am search in google... but not clearly...pls help me
    > any one.........

    Hi,
    If I were you I would try to change my vc++ code to run with
    some library like POCO. It will abstract out the underlying platform
    dependent information and if it runs on windows then there is a good
    change of it running on linux (hopefully).

    Best!
    Tharinda

    , Mar 11, 2009