    Please advice.

    Thanks in advance. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    , Jul 3, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > I am wondering if there is way to convert a xls (with column headers)
    > or a plain text file to an xml file without knowing anything about
    > xsd.

    Sure. Schema validation is optional. For basic data processing, you can
    often ignore schemas and just work with well-formed documents.

    If you know how to read the source data, and you know how you want to
    map that to XML, this is just a Simple Matter Of Programming.

    Excel is using the schema because it's trying to be general purpose and
    let the schema help guide that mapping. But hand-coding certainly works.
    Joseph J. Kesselman, Jul 3, 2008

  3. Joe Fawcett Guest

    "Joseph J. Kesselman" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I am wondering if there is way to convert a xls (with column headers)
    >> or a plain text file to an xml file without knowing anything about
    >> xsd.

    > Sure. Schema validation is optional. For basic data processing, you can
    > often ignore schemas and just work with well-formed documents.
    >
    > If you know how to read the source data, and you know how you want to map
    > that to XML, this is just a Simple Matter Of Programming.
    >
    > Excel is using the schema because it's trying to be general purpose and
    > let the schema help guide that mapping. But hand-coding certainly works.

    Also you can save from Excel as XML (versions 2003+) without a custom
    schema, you'll get Excel's own schema instead which can be hard work to use
    but this depends on your specific scenario.

    --

    Joe Fawcett
    http://joe.fawcett.name
    Joe Fawcett, Jul 3, 2008