    my tags also.
    Thanks

    , Sep 16, 2005

  2. Joris Gillis Guest

    Tempore 16:40:55, die Friday 16 September 2005 AD, hinc in foro {comp.text.xml} scripsit <>:

    > I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
    > format to the following 2 formats:
    >
    > multiple html files
    >
    > single pdf file

    XSL is an open technology by W3C that is perfectly suited for these tasks.

    Search the web for "docbook" and "xsl"

    regards,
    --
    Joris Gillis (http://users.telenet.be/root-jg/me.html)
    Gaudiam omnibus traderat W3C, nec vana fides

    Joris Gillis, Sep 16, 2005

    are there some actual windows xp applications you can point me to
    please.

    , Sep 16, 2005
  4. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm in Windows XP and wish to convert an xml file that is in docbook
    > format to the following 2 formats:
    >
    > multiple html files
    >
    > single pdf file
    >
    > Are there any free apps that can do this?

    Yes, lots. See the XML FAQ at http://xml.silmaril.ie/authors/style/

    The DocBook project provides XSLT transformations to HTML and PDF, and
    I think also to LaTeX to make PDF (alternative).

    If you don't like the design of the output you can always write your
    own stylesheets.

    > I need to have them create the table of contents and the indexes from
    > my tags also.

    That is automated in the code they supply, I believe.

    All you need is a copy of a suitable XSL[T] processor (and a copy
    of LaTeX if you prefer that). All are freely available for all platforms.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Steve Ball Guest

    The DocBook XSL stylesheets provide the means of producing HTML and PDF
    (via FO). If you want a Windows Gui application to run the stylesheets
    then you could try tkxsltproc from:

    http://tclxml.sf.net/tkxsltproc.html

    You'll also need something to convert XSL-FO into PDF. FOP
    (http://xml.apache.org/fop/) is a freely available formatter for doing
    this. I have a small GUI utility for running FOP - contact me if you
    are interested.

    HTHs,
    Steve Ball

    Steve Ball, Sep 19, 2005