    Anyway, my real question is if anybody knows of any tutorials or source
    code from other implementations and other languages that may prove
    useful?

    Putty, Aug 27, 2006

  2. Putty

    Guest

    Putty wrote:
    > Hi. I was going to write an implementation of John Conway's Life game
    > using Python and Tk, but I soon found that Tk just didn't cut the
    > mustard for memory usage, management, and the like for such a project,
    > so I've found my best GUI bet for my project is wxPython and not
    > pygame.
    >
    > Anybody have any advice thus far?
    >
    > Anyway, my real question is if anybody knows of any tutorials or source
    > code from other implementations and other languages that may prove
    > useful?

    I find that wxPython is very easy to use.. I just noticed a graphic
    library that may or may not help
    http://language-binding.net/pyplusplus/examples/easybmp/easybmp.html
    I am not sure if you can work with pixels with wxPython but you can
    probily do the life game with tiles also..

    , Aug 27, 2006

  3. Putty

    Putty Guest

    Do you think it would be reasonable to use wxGrid to make the game
    area?

    Putty, Aug 27, 2006
  4. Putty

    Guest

    Putty wrote:
    > Do you think it would be reasonable to use wxGrid to make the game
    > area?
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Putty wrote:
    > > > Hi. I was going to write an implementation of John Conway's Life game
    > > > using Python and Tk, but I soon found that Tk just didn't cut the
    > > > mustard for memory usage, management, and the like for such a project,
    > > > so I've found my best GUI bet for my project is wxPython and not
    > > > pygame.
    > > >
    > > > Anybody have any advice thus far?
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, my real question is if anybody knows of any tutorials or source
    > > > code from other implementations and other languages that may prove
    > > > useful?

    > > I find that wxPython is very easy to use.. I just noticed a graphic
    > > library that may or may not help
    > > http://language-binding.net/pyplusplus/examples/easybmp/easybmp.html
    > > I am not sure if you can work with pixels with wxPython but you can
    > > probily do the life game with tiles also..

    void wxGrid(wxWindow *parent, int x, int y, int width, int height, long
    style=0, char *name="grid")

    Constructor. Before using a wxGrid object, you must call CreateGrid to
    set up the required rows and columns.

    Looks like it may be right up your alley, here is a couple links that
    may be helpfull

    http://filburt.lns.mit.edu/oops/Html/SW/wxwin/wxgrid/grid.htm

    http://www.google.com/custom?q=wxGr...000000;GFNT:0000FF;GIMP:0000FF;FORID:1;&hl=en

    and mine that probily isn't :)

    , Aug 27, 2006
  5. "Putty" <> wrote:

    > Hi. I was going to write an implementation of John Conway's Life game
    > using Python and Tk, but I soon found that Tk just didn't cut the
    > mustard for memory usage, management, and the like for such a project,
    > so I've found my best GUI bet for my project is wxPython and not
    > pygame.

    You might enjoy looking at Golly, an open source, cross-platform Life
    app which uses Gosper's hashlife algorithm to allow the exploration of
    patterns at huge scales and speeds:

    http://golly.sourceforge.net/

    Golly's GUI is written in wxWidgets (C++, not wxPython) but we do
    use Python as our scripting language:

    http://golly.sourceforge.net/Help/scripting.html

    Andrew

    Andrew Trevorrow, Aug 28, 2006