cooercing IE to display my page something like properly

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    Please forgive the one-off crossposting (only 2 groups though!)

    Man was I naive!!

    Just write a W3C standards complient site, I thought, and then tweak the odd
    thing when it came to browser testing. Although I don't have a Windows
    computer, I can pretty-much sort-of run IE in Wine (www.whinehq.org), but I
    mostly tested in Firefox Opera and KHTML.

    Take a look at http://www.masmodels.com/inspiration.en.html in IE and any
    other browser. I don't want to turn this post into an anti-MS rant, surfice
    to say it's disapointing when browser bugs trash my work :)

    Now, I think the next step should be damage limitation. To start with I want
    to use css make a stripped-down but non-broken version of the site for IE,
    and then think about getting some of the eye-candy back again.

    I've seen [if IE] mentioned in a few places, but can't get it to work in my
    stylesheet (http://www.masmodels.com/site_style.css). Can this only be used
    for inline styles, and if so is there a .css file equivalent? I tried /* */
    comments.

    Thanks to everyone for reading.
    Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    > I've seen [if IE] mentioned in a few places, but can't get it to work in
    > my stylesheet (http://www.masmodels.com/site_style.css). Can this only be
    > used for inline styles, and if so is there a .css file equivalent? I tried
    > /* */ comments.

    I just found this page, which seems to be what I wanted:

    http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/158.html

    I don't really like including proprietry code (even in comments), but I
    suppose I have to.
    I can't begin to say how few up I am with IE right now. I'm tempted to just
    block all IE users until they upgrade their browser to, say, Firefox. Of
    course, I won't, but it's tempting!
    Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Jim Higson

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jim Higson wrote in
    <>

    > Please forgive the one-off crossposting (only 2 groups though!)
    >
    > Man was I naive!!
    >
    > Just write a W3C standards complient site, I thought, and then tweak
    > the odd thing when it came to browser testing. Although I don't have
    > a Windows computer, I can pretty-much sort-of run IE in Wine
    > (www.whinehq.org), but I mostly tested in Firefox Opera and KHTML.
    >
    > Take a look at http://www.masmodels.com/inspiration.en.html in IE and
    > any other browser. I don't want to turn this post into an anti-MS
    > rant, surfice to say it's disapointing when browser bugs trash my
    > work :)

    <snip>

    I can't see any significant difference: Opera/Firefox/NN7/IE6 though it's a
    bit all-over-the-place with NN7, but isn't everything?

    Does it make any difference to the problem if you use a strict doctype
    rather than transitional?

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Jim Higson

    PeterMcC Guest

    PeterMcC wrote in
    <411a286e$0$27241$>

    > I can't see any significant difference: Opera/Firefox/NN7/IE6 though
    > it's a bit all-over-the-place with NN7, but isn't everything?

    NN4.7 - it's a bit all over the place with NN4.7 - it's me that's all over
    the place with NN7

    PeterMcC, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Jim Higson wrote:
    >>I've seen [if IE] mentioned in a few places, but can't get it to work in
    >>my stylesheet (http://www.masmodels.com/site_style.css). Can this only be
    >>used for inline styles, and if so is there a .css file equivalent? I tried
    >>/* */ comments.

    > I just found this page, which seems to be what I wanted:
    >
    > http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/158.html
    >
    > I don't really like including proprietry code (even in comments), but I
    > suppose I have to.

    In a comment it's not really "code", it's just a comment :).

    > I can't begin to say how few up I am with IE right now. I'm tempted to just
    > block all IE users until they upgrade their browser to, say, Firefox. Of
    > course, I won't, but it's tempting!

    If they can't see it your way, they may not see it at all? That is SO
    last century! Good to hear you're not actually planning to do it.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Aug 11, 2004
  6. Jim Higson

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Man was I naive!!
    > Just write a W3C standards complient site, I thought, and then tweak the odd
    > thing when it came to browser testing...

    This is where you have to make a decision. Since 80%+ of your
    visitors will arrive using IE, Which will it be? The lady or the
    tiger?

    Does IE suck? Sure, but that is irrelevant to your visitors. If
    your page does not look good in IE, 80% of your customers may walk
    away.

    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Aug 11, 2004
  7. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    PeterMcC wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote in
    > <>
    >
    >> Please forgive the one-off crossposting (only 2 groups though!)
    >>
    >> Man was I naive!!
    >>
    >> Just write a W3C standards complient site, I thought, and then tweak
    >> the odd thing when it came to browser testing. Although I don't have
    >> a Windows computer, I can pretty-much sort-of run IE in Wine
    >> (www.whinehq.org), but I mostly tested in Firefox Opera and KHTML.
    >>
    >> Take a look at http://www.masmodels.com/inspiration.en.html in IE and
    >> any other browser. I don't want to turn this post into an anti-MS
    >> rant, surfice to say it's disapointing when browser bugs trash my
    >> work :)

    > <snip>
    >
    > I can't see any significant difference: Opera/Firefox/NN7/IE6 though it's
    > a bit all-over-the-place with NN7, but isn't everything?

    Hmmm... that's odd. I've posted a desktop screenshot of what I see here:
    http://www.masmodels.com/images/mas-ie.jpg (200k or so)
    The box around the thumbnails is broken in ie, but is fine with the browser
    on the right. I think because it is weak with ordering floats and doesn't
    centre elements whose left and right margins are auto.

    > Does it make any difference to the problem if you use a strict doctype
    > rather than transitional?

    I'll try this. I think HTML tidy put the transitional in for me because of
    some tags I'm using. The page was originaly strict.
    Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004
  8. Jim Higson

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jim Higson wrote in
    <>

    > PeterMcC wrote:
    >>
    >> I can't see any significant difference: Opera/Firefox/NN7/IE6 though
    >> it's a bit all-over-the-place with NN7, but isn't everything?

    > Hmmm... that's odd. I've posted a desktop screenshot of what I see
    > here: http://www.masmodels.com/images/mas-ie.jpg (200k or so)
    > The box around the thumbnails is broken in ie, but is fine with the
    > browser on the right. I think because it is weak with ordering floats
    > and doesn't centre elements whose left and right margins are auto.

    Dear &deity; - I swear I flicked back and forth between all the flavours of
    browser looking at every detail, I swear it. Never noticed the corners.

    My advice would be to ignore any advice that I might have on this topic.

    Sorry if I started you down a false trail there.

    Um... I like the models...

    PeterMcC, Aug 11, 2004
  9. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote:
    >>>I've seen [if IE] mentioned in a few places, but can't get it to work in
    >>>my stylesheet (http://www.masmodels.com/site_style.css). Can this only be
    >>>used for inline styles, and if so is there a .css file equivalent? I
    >>>tried /* */ comments.

    >> I just found this page, which seems to be what I wanted:
    >>
    >> http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/158.html
    >>
    >> I don't really like including proprietry code (even in comments), but I
    >> suppose I have to.

    > In a comment it's not really "code", it's just a comment :).

    If it's parsed by the browser I think it's a bit code-ish. If 'compiler
    directive' had any meaning in this contect that's what it'd be.

    And at least it's proprietry 'code' that other browsers don't have to go out
    of their way to support or ignore. As long as it stays just for IE I don't
    mind it, but I'd hate to see a sutuation where more browsers parse comments
    and we end up with a buch of browser-specific sub-languages.

    A long time ago I used 'extended' languages where 20% of the code was
    comments.

    >> I can't begin to say how few up I am with IE right now. I'm tempted to
    >> just block all IE users until they upgrade their browser to, say,
    >> Firefox. Of course, I won't, but it's tempting!

    > If they can't see it your way, they may not see it at all? That is SO
    > last century! Good to hear you're not actually planning to do it.

    No, just venting really. I believe in cross-browser compatibility, even on
    browsers that don't. I could point at a 'W3C complient' button all day long
    shouting "It's your browser's fault, not mine!".

    PS, the worst is the uk lottery site, which tells me my OS is not secure
    enough, but if I 'upgrade' to Windows '95 (amongst others) I'm fine. Yeah.
    Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004
  10. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > I'll try this. I think HTML tidy put the transitional in for me because of
    > some tags I'm using. The page was originaly strict.

    OK. I've put up a ie-specific css and changed it to XHTML strict (only one
    attribute was stopping it from being anyway). That should do for now, I
    just need to work out how to center the thumbnail images on ie.
    Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004
  11. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    PeterMcC wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote in
    > <>
    >
    >> PeterMcC wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I can't see any significant difference: Opera/Firefox/NN7/IE6 though
    >>> it's a bit all-over-the-place with NN7, but isn't everything?

    >> Hmmm... that's odd. I've posted a desktop screenshot of what I see
    >> here: http://www.masmodels.com/images/mas-ie.jpg (200k or so)
    >> The box around the thumbnails is broken in ie, but is fine with the
    >> browser on the right. I think because it is weak with ordering floats
    >> and doesn't centre elements whose left and right margins are auto.
    >>

    > Dear &deity; - I swear I flicked back and forth between all the flavours
    > of browser looking at every detail, I swear it. Never noticed the corners.
    >
    > My advice would be to ignore any advice that I might have on this topic.
    >
    > Sorry if I started you down a false trail there.

    S'ok. You did give me false hope for a moment though.

    > Um... I like the models...

    I'll pass on your complement to the maker (I'll see him in the pub tonight)
    Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004
  12. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > Jim Higson wrote:
    >
    >> I'll try this. I think HTML tidy put the transitional in for me because
    >> of some tags I'm using. The page was originaly strict.

    > OK. I've put up a ie-specific css and changed it to XHTML strict (only one
    > attribute was stopping it from being anyway). That should do for now, I
    > just need to work out how to center the thumbnail images on ie.

    even got that working now, with:

    <!--[if IE]><div style="text-align: center;"><![endif] -->

    around the thumbnail frames.
    Doesn't look too bad in IE now. I still think [if IE] is a nasty hack, but
    it's a nasty hack that removes the need for far nastier hacks.
    Jim Higson, Aug 11, 2004