cookie and session are not created when using a host file instead of DNS

Andrew

When I use a host file entry to point to the host header of the site
that I have created on a Win2k server running IIS5, a cookie is not
created to hold the session id. The result is that Session_OnStart is
run every time a page is requested.

If I set up a DNS entry on the DNS server it all works fine.

I never noticed this problem before we put in Active Directory so it
may have something to do with that.

I have set "allow per session cookies" to promt(under Custom Secrity
settings in IE) to see if this is being attempted and it is not. So
the browser is not even trying to create the session cookie when using
the host file.

any ideas?

Ray at

What is it that makes you say they aren't created? Are you using the same
domain name in the hosts file as you are in DNS?

Ray at work