Cookie Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steven M., Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Steven M.

    Steven M. Guest

    Greetings...

    I need desperate help with my problem.

    I guess the solution is related in some way with the cookies getting
    lost in the authentication process working with some web servers.

    Appreciate any help you could provide.

    I've created an application that does the authentication process
    using forms. I've succeed to install it in a lot of web servers and
    it works perfect. But, and here is the problem, in some of the web
    servers this is what happens:

    Starting the application the user has to follow the authentication
    process. If the user fails to enter the password, the server
    communicates him that either the password or the user name is
    incorrect. At this point, the process works fine. The problem starts
    when the user follow the authentication process correctly (user name
    and password are correct), after this, the system fails to continue to
    the next page, the user is sent back to the authentication page (like
    he was trying to violate the security using the URL).

    This problem happens when a user is trying to do the authentication
    process in a client machine; it doesn't happen if the user is in the
    server machine.

    I've done some research and these are the results:

    As the application works fine in most of the servers I've installed
    it, it shouldn't be an application problem.
    As the application gives the user an answer when either the user name
    or the password is incorrect, the server is responding correctly.
    As the application works fine if the user is in the server machine,
    installation or database problems are discarded.
    I've been tracking the cookies and this is what happens: If the user
    is working directly on the server machine, the system creates the
    cookies and everything works fine. But, if the user is working on any
    client machine the cookie never arrives.
    The problem is not on the client machines as if I connect them to
    another server, the cookie is created and the application works fine.
    The user is redirected to the authentication page because the cookie
    gets lost (Again: The client machines works fine connected to other
    servers) and he loses his credentials.
    Searching through the web I've found that there is a problem with the
    server name when it has characters like "_", but this is not my
    case. I've tried names like:
    Server/MyApp/Authentication.aspx
    192.168.1.100/MyApp/Authentication.aspx
    OtherName/MyApp/Authenticacion.aspx
    But none of them works.

    I hope I've been clear enough with my explanation.

    PD: The application has been developed using C# in VS .NET.
    Steven M., Dec 15, 2005

  2. Steven M.

    Bruce Barker Guest

    you really should do network traces to see whats going on.

    hint: check to see if a proxy is remapping urls before hitting the server
    (this can cause asp.net to use the wrong domain name for the cookie)

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Dec 16, 2005