Cookie

Discussion in 'HTML' started by MaticK, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. MaticK

    MaticK Guest

    Hi,

    I have a question, that someone here will hopefully be able to help m
    with.

    I have a website (gaming) that me and my friends use to post differen
    scores, tips and all kinds of stuff.

    I would like to "assign" each of my friend with unique cookie (o
    something else) and then be able to record (somewhere) when did the
    come to my site.

    I only want cookie id and time to be recorded (ip or date, would be
    plus, but not necesary).

    Can someone pls help me with that or point me in the right direction?

    I have some basic html skills, but very little when it comes to workin
    with servers (so cgi, php and simmilar, kinda scare me :) ).

    Please help. Any tip will be greately apriciated.

    TIA,

    -
    Matic

    MaticK, Mar 7, 2004

  2. MaticK wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question, that someone here will hopefully be able to help me
    > with.
    >
    > I have a website (gaming) that me and my friends use to post different
    > scores, tips and all kinds of stuff.
    >
    > I would like to "assign" each of my friend with unique cookie (or
    > something else) and then be able to record (somewhere) when did they
    > come to my site.
    >
    > I only want cookie id and time to be recorded (ip or date, would be a
    > plus, but not necesary).
    >
    > Can someone pls help me with that or point me in the right direction?
    >
    > I have some basic html skills, but very little when it comes to working
    > with servers (so cgi, php and simmilar, kinda scare me :) ).
    >
    > Please help. Any tip will be greately apriciated.
    >
    > TIA,

    How did you do the posting stuff? I don't know if cookies are the right
    things because they are saved on the users comp, so you can never see
    it... If you only want to keep a personal record you might want to
    regularly send the stuff to your comp via email, although that would
    overload you inbox a bit. If neither is what you want you'll have to
    save it on the server in a file or a db. But without knowing the
    features of your ISP (and, maybe, the language the posting stuff is
    written in) noonecan help you much farther.

    thomas

    Thomas Jollans, Mar 7, 2004