Cookieless Session ID in Query String

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tom Cole, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Tom Cole

    Tom Cole Guest

    Howdy,

    When a client has cookies turn off, our application uses the ASP.NET 2.0
    cookieless session which puts the session id into the URI. Is there anyway
    to make it use a query string instead?

    Here's an example of what we have:

    http://localhost/(S(xpkuhvn3tvuiwsjnyox5t0qd))/default.aspx

    This is what we would want:

    http://localhost/default.aspx?sid=xpkuhvn3tvuiwsjnyox5t0qd

    The reason for this requirement is because the first url runs havoc on our
    web analytics. The software keeps thinking that the session token is a
    folder...

    Thanks so much for your assistance,
    Tom Cole

    Tom Cole, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Tom Cole

    jeff Guest

    unfortunately to do what you want requires that you manually set your
    querystring. Links could be dynamically built using a database, but that
    would require a major re-write of your system.

    jeff, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Tom Cole

    Oisin Guest

    I suggest you read up on your web analysis software's documentation.
    Most of these packages have some kind of pre and post filtering that
    would let you clean the url. Failing that, consider using Microsoft's
    Log Parser tool (google it, version 2.2 I think) to pre-process IIS's
    logs, stripping out the session path with a regular expression before
    you hand the logs to your analysis tool.

    - Oisin

    Oisin, Mar 24, 2006