cookieless session state problem

alex

when i bookmark a page in my app with a session id in the path, that session
id doesn't get reset. It survives timeouts, browser and server restarts. I'm
seeing this behaviour whether I use InProc mode or StateServer. I'm getting
this on a remote server where I'm using InProc cookieless mode and I'm
getting this on my local machine where I've tried that and StateServer. I
don't understand why asp.net won't reset the session code and write the new
one to the url.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Most likely not thought of. The cookieless session is a bit of a kludge to
get around an issue with the stateless nature of web communication coupled
with people turning off cookies in their browsers. I would assume that
bookmarking was not considered when setting up the kludge. I would venture
that setting up your own HTTP Handler may be the only way to get around this
(further kludge the kludge), but it may never let you to that point, as the
intercept is probably before your own handler is called.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Guest

I have read that when a session expires you cannot necessarily expect to see a new Session ID. The same Session can be used to access a session different than the one retired once the 'original' session has expired. The SessionId points to a new session, however. The Session ID value will change for a different instance of the browser

I have also read that a new sessionID is generated for each request in applications that do not store data in the session dictionary

( reading = MSDN article "Underpinnings of the Session State Implementation in ASP.NET"

We are checking that a known Session variable is not Nothing. If it s Nothing, we have started a new session

You could also use the Session_Start event to make distinctions.