cookies 101

shank

I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work properly.
No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.

Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking. With
masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.

Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to get
to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie originating
from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for www.MyWebsite.com
while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the site?

thanks

Evertjan.

shank wrote on 19 nov 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work
properly. No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.

Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking.
With masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.

Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to
get to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie
originating from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for
www.MyWebsite.com while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the
site?

Cookies exist on the browser,
so what is the classic ASP connection of this Q?

Anthony Jones

shank said:
I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work properly.
No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.

Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking.
With masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.

Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to get
to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie originating
from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for www.MyWebsite.com
while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the site?

thanks

You can't. Could you imagine what would happen if code from one domain
could read and/or modify cookies to be used by another. Joe public visits
www.betyourinterestedinthis.com which then fiddles with cookies belonging
to www.mybankaccount.com. Not a good idea.

p byers

shank said:
I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work properly.
No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.

Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking. With
masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.

Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to get
to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie originating
from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for www.MyWebsite.com
while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the site?

thanks

Try passing the values as "hidden" form variables

Just a clue - I do it often

Pete (Northolt UK)