Cookies and RFC 2109

mauro

it does not seem that the HttpCookie class is in compliance with the rfc
2109, it does not expose the optional comment attribute, even asp.net 2.0
beta 2 has this problem and frankly speaking I do not understand why a new
version of the framework that pretends to stay runinng for years until a new
version, has to be not compliant with standards when the java platform
already supports such standard.

Scott Allen

You can get and set the comment through the HttpCookie indexer:

HttpCookie myCookie = new HttpCookie("myCookie");
myCookie.Values["Comment"] = "myCookie purpose";
String purpose = myCookie.Values["Comment"];

Compliance!

mauro

Scott Allen said:
You can get and set the comment through the HttpCookie indexer:

HttpCookie myCookie = new HttpCookie("myCookie");
myCookie.Values["Comment"] = "myCookie purpose";
String purpose = myCookie.Values["Comment"];

Compliance!

Thanks, I didn't know we could use the indexer to access the attributes.

Bruce Barker

this just adds a value pair named Comment, doesn't really add the attribute.

you should open a bug on the beta 2 newgroup - although it may be too late
to add this feature.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

it does not seem that the HttpCookie class is in compliance with the rfc
2109, it does not expose the optional comment attribute, even asp.net 2.0
beta 2 has this problem and frankly speaking I do not understand why a new
version of the framework that pretends to stay runinng for years until a
new
version, has to be not compliant with standards when the java platform
already supports such standard.

Joerg Jooss

Scott said:
You can get and set the comment through the HttpCookie indexer:

HttpCookie myCookie = new HttpCookie("myCookie");
myCookie.Values["Comment"] = "myCookie purpose";
String purpose = myCookie.Values["Comment"];

Compliance!

Um... no. Adding a value like that will concatenate it to the existing
value string with an ampersand, just like form data. RFC 2965 (2109 is
obsolete) prescribes a semicolon.

But more importantly, ASP.NET only uses the Set-Cookie header, not
Set-Cookie2, which is the correct way to set RFC 2965 cookies. Thus,
only Netscape (Version 0) cookies are currently supported.

Cheers,

Scott Allen

Thanks, Joerg. I apolozgize for the misinformation.