Cookies in IE8

MCM

I have a web app that uses a persistent cookie to store login info. It was
working perfectly in IE7 and still works in all other browsers, but no longer
works IE8. What are the new rules for cookies in IE8 so I can adjust it?

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

In IE8, the security bar is promoted. We have to set the domain name in
cookie.
In IE7 and previous version, you can ignore the domain setting. But in IE8,
we need to specific the domain in cookie. So please append the domain
information in each cookie body.

ps:
If you used IE8 beta version, please update it.

Sincerely,

Vince Xu

Microsoft Online Support

MCM

I think I got it worked out here. Something else in my code may have been
causing an issue. But can you confirm these settings for me:

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name=".COMPANYASPXAUTH"
domain="company.com"
cookieless="UseCookies"
timeout="43200"
defaultUrl="Home.aspx"
loginUrl="Login.aspx" />
</authentication>

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

I think it's fine. Could you please post your code to operate cookie if it
work either?

--
Regards,
Vince

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TUNN?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Cookies in IE8
| Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:42:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
|
| I think I got it worked out here. Something else in my code may have been
| causing an issue. But can you confirm these settings for me:
|

| <authentication mode="Forms">
| <forms name=".COMPANYASPXAUTH"
| domain="company.com"
| cookieless="UseCookies"
| timeout="43200"
| defaultUrl="Home.aspx"
| loginUrl="Login.aspx" />
| </authentication>
|

| "Vince Xu [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > In IE8, the security bar is promoted. We have to set the domain name in
| > cookie.
| > In IE7 and previous version, you can ignore the domain setting. But in
IE8,
| > we need to specific the domain in cookie. So please append the domain
| > information in each cookie body.
| >
| > ps:
| > If you used IE8 beta version, please update it.
| >

| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Vince Xu
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues where
an
| > initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer
within
| > 2 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow up response
may
| > take approximately 2 business days as the support professional working
with
| > you may need further investigation to reach the most efficient
resolution.
| > The offering is not appropriate for situations that require urgent,
| > real-time or phone-based interactions. Issues of this nature are best
| > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
contacting
| > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948874.aspx
| > ==================================================

MCM

Can I e-mail it to you instead?

Vince Xu said:
Hello,

I think it's fine. Could you please post your code to operate cookie if it
work either?

--
Regards,
Vince
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TUNN?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Cookies in IE8
| Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:42:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
|
| I think I got it worked out here. Something else in my code may have been
| causing an issue. But can you confirm these settings for me:
|

| <authentication mode="Forms">
| <forms name=".COMPANYASPXAUTH"
| domain="company.com"
| cookieless="UseCookies"
| timeout="43200"
| defaultUrl="Home.aspx"
| loginUrl="Login.aspx" />
| </authentication>
|

| "Vince Xu [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > In IE8, the security bar is promoted. We have to set the domain name in
| > cookie.
| > In IE7 and previous version, you can ignore the domain setting. But in
IE8,
| > we need to specific the domain in cookie. So please append the domain
| > information in each cookie body.
| >
| > ps:
| > If you used IE8 beta version, please update it.
| >

| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Vince Xu
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues where
an
| > initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer
within
| > 2 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow up response
may
| > take approximately 2 business days as the support professional working
with
| > you may need further investigation to reach the most efficient
resolution.
| > The offering is not appropriate for situations that require urgent,
| > real-time or phone-based interactions. Issues of this nature are best
| > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
contacting
| > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948874.aspx
| > ==================================================

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Sure, my email address is (e-mail address removed)

Regards,
Vince
Microsoft Online Support

MCM

I e-mail you the code to look at.

The problem is still occuring. It is weird. I can't reproduce it
intentionally. At varying times, the cookie just goes away.

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

Your config is correct. I tried your code sent to me, but I can't reproduct
this issue in my site.
What OS you used? Maybe some plugin generates the conflict with IE8 to
store cookie.
You can access it in another computer with IE8 to see if you encounter the
same issue.

--
Regards,
Vince,

--------------------
| I e-mail you the code to look at.
|
| The problem is still occuring. It is weird. I can't reproduce it
| intentionally. At varying times, the cookie just goes away.
|

| "Vince Xu [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Sure, my email address is (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > Regards,
| > Vince
| > Microsoft Online Support

MCM

Windows 7.

Also, this is not an easily reproducible issue. I can't figure out when the
cookie disappears. It *seems* random.

Vince Xu [MSFT]

Hello,

Could you please use another machine with IE8(but not win7) to try that? I
guess it's the problem of IE8 in Win7.

If my guess is correct, please do the following steps on IE8:

Internet option -> Security -> Custom Level -> Include local directory path
when uploading files to a server -> enable
Internet option -> Privacy -> Advenced -> enable "Override automatic cookie
handling"

It's not for development. But you can try if it is recovered after we make
sure it's the problem of IE8 in Win7.