Cooking conversion table / library?

routinization

I'm starting a Rails project with a cooking recipe focus. I was
wondering if anyone knows of a pre-existing library that will handle
the classic dry and liquid cooking conversions such as teaspoons to
tablespoons, tablespoons to cups, fluid ounces to pints, ounces to
pounds, etc. Something like what Rails' ActiveSupport does with number
extensions would be nice, but this beggar isn't a chooser.

Thanks for your tips!

Ben Bleything

I'm starting a Rails project with a cooking recipe focus. I was
wondering if anyone knows of a pre-existing library that will handle
the classic dry and liquid cooking conversions such as teaspoons to
tablespoons, tablespoons to cups, fluid ounces to pints, ounces to
pounds, etc. Something like what Rails' ActiveSupport does with number
extensions would be nice, but this beggar isn't a chooser.

I don't know of a library, but get yourself a copy of The Joy of Cooking
and write one!

:D

Ben

routinization

Kevin said:
The ruby-units gem can handle all sorts of unit conversions. I'm
pretty sure the standard cooking measurements are pre-defined.

'1 floz'.to 'cups'
=> 0.125 cu

Kevin -
I just started playing with this. Extremely cool! Very well done. I
see you even released a new version today.

Thanks for your efforts!

Ben Bleything

The ruby-units gem can handle all sorts of unit conversions. I'm
pretty sure the standard cooking measurements are pre-defined.

Whoa, sweet! Good to know!

Ben

hadley wickham

The ruby-units gem can handle all sorts of unit conversions. I'm
pretty sure the standard cooking measurements are pre-defined.

'1 floz'.to 'cups'
=> 0.125 cu

Yes, but are those American or English cups? American, I'm
guessing, but English cup sizes are different (236ml in American,
250ml in British)

Hadley

John W. Kennedy

hadley said:
Yes, but are those American or English cups? American, I'm
guessing, but English cup sizes are different (236ml in American,
250ml in British)

The floz was different between US and Imperial in the first place.