Cool fading website - how is it done?

ukrbend

I came across the website http://www.cyberindian.com/web-designing/
and noticed it has this great feature of fading the pages as you click
on the various links. So instead of the typical awkward construction of
the page slowing appearing, it will gradually fade in as the old page
fades out. I took a look at the soucre for the page but can't
understand how they're doing it. One bad point is that it only seems to
work in IE and not Firefox. But I still would like to try it on my
site.

Does anyone know this technique? - Thanks

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

ukrbend said:
I came across the website http://www.cyberindian.com/web-designing/
and noticed it has this great feature of fading the pages as you click
on the various links. So instead of the typical awkward construction
of the page slowing appearing, it will gradually fade in as the old
page fades out. I took a look at the soucre for the page but can't
understand how they're doing it. One bad point is that it only seems
to work in IE and not Firefox. But I still would like to try it on my
site.

Does anyone know this technique? - Thanks

This doesn't happen in Opera either, and further digging on my part
reveals (not surprisingly) that this is a proprietary function by
Microsoft which is only visible in IE.

These are the tags performing this effect, though:
<META http-equiv="Page-Enter" content="blendTrans(Duration=0.3)">
<META http-equiv="Page-Exit" content="blendTrans(Duration=0.3)">

Personally, I recommend against using proprietary functions and
elements as part of your code (meaning it will only work on a narrow
selection of platforms and/or browsers), but here's some more
information about how to use the transition effect:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/blen
dtrans.asp>
<http://gethelp.devx.com/techtips/web_pro/10min/10min0200/10min0200.asp>

Hywel Jenkins

I came across the website http://www.cyberindian.com/web-designing/
and noticed it has this great feature of fading the pages as you click
on the various links. So instead of the typical awkward construction of
the page slowing appearing, it will gradually fade in as the old page
fades out. I took a look at the soucre for the page but can't
understand how they're doing it. One bad point is that it only seems to
work in IE and not Firefox. But I still would like to try it on my
site.

Does anyone know this technique? - Thanks

Doesn't fade up for me in either IE or Firefox. Is it some wanky IE
transition thing? What does the source code say - read it again? I
doubt it's a "great feature", unless you like PowerPoint slideshows.

Peterken

ukrbend said:
I came across the website http://www.cyberindian.com/web-designing/
and noticed it has this great feature of fading the pages as you click
on the various links. So instead of the typical awkward construction of
the page slowing appearing, it will gradually fade in as the old page
fades out. I took a look at the soucre for the page but can't
understand how they're doing it. One bad point is that it only seems to
work in IE and not Firefox. But I still would like to try it on my
site.

Does anyone know this technique? - Thanks

Oh it actually does fade in IE, and indeed the technique used is
<META http-equiv="Page-Enter" content="blendTrans(Duration=0.3)">
<META http-equiv="Page-Exit" content="blendTrans(Duration=0.3)">
between the head tags...

However, the timing is set so short it's bearly visible when loading the
pages :-(

Timing is given in seconds, so 0.3 means three tenth of a second.
Maybe, if using the effect, play with the timing a bit to have it more
"visible".

And no Kim, I don't mind using some proprietary effects, since after all
about 95% out there uses IExplore.
All others just miss this transition but can see the page just as well.

Rob McAninch

Hywel Jenkins>:
I came across the website http://www.cyberindian.com/web-designing/
and noticed it has this great feature of fading the pages [...]

Does anyone know this technique? - Thanks

Doesn't fade up for me in either IE or Firefox. Is it some wanky IE
transition thing?

Looks like it, very hard to tell the Google Ads from the content...
I doubt it's a "great feature", unless you like PowerPoint slideshows.

Hm, actually I do kinda like PowerPoint slide shows. Maybe I've been
using the wrong browser all these years... Well, the slide shows
have a place but that's generally not on a web page:)

Rob McAninch

(e-mail address removed)>:
I'd expected better from you, Old Timer.

Well, blame it on academia for pushing power point style slide shows
as the method of doing a presentation. :)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Rob McAninch quothed:
(e-mail address removed)>:

Well, blame it on academia for pushing power point style slide shows
as the method of doing a presentation. :)

Yep, and business as well. In my field I used to (have to) see at least
one of those a month.