Cool future browser feature....

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Travis Newbury, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. You know what would be a great browser feature? If the browser could
    tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.

    The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    takes the appropriate action with the links.

    Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
    be a cool feature...

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jun 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Travis Newbury

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Travis Newbury"
    <> writing in news:1120051785.377218.129270
    @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > You know what would be a great browser feature? If the browser could
    > tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.
    >
    > The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    > takes the appropriate action with the links.
    >
    > Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
    > be a cool feature...
    >


    The problem is that too many people have abused pop-ups that most
    blockers block everything. That can get annoying quickly when you want
    to download something and the ****ing blocker blocks your download, or
    you _want_ that little calendar widget to open so you can select some
    date four months from now.

    That's one of the reasons I really like Opera. I can open pop-ups I
    _want_, and I don't have to save a list of allowed servers.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne, Jun 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Travis Newbury

    mark | r Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > You know what would be a great browser feature? If the browser could
    > tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.
    >
    > The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    > takes the appropriate action with the links.
    >
    > Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
    > be a cool feature...


    no thats just evil, there are better ways to advertise than POPUPS which
    just suck (specially now everyones tabbed browsing)

    Mark
    mark | r, Jun 29, 2005
    #3
  4. Adrienne wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Travis Newbury"
    > <> writing in news:1120051785.377218.129270
    > @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >
    >>You know what would be a great browser feature? If the browser could
    >>tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.
    >>
    >>The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    >>takes the appropriate action with the links.
    >>
    >>Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
    >>be a cool feature...
    >>

    >
    >
    > The problem is that too many people have abused pop-ups that most
    > blockers block everything. That can get annoying quickly when you want
    > to download something and the ****ing blocker blocks your download, or
    > you _want_ that little calendar widget to open so you can select some
    > date four months from now.
    >
    > That's one of the reasons I really like Opera. I can open pop-ups I
    > _want_, and I don't have to save a list of allowed servers.
    >


    I just spent a half-an-hour fighting with Seagate's new RMA website....
    ARGHHH!!!!

    First off, it checks browser versions, and if you don't have Netscape
    7.0 or IE 5.5+ it won't work.... Forget Firefox.

    OK, so I fire up IE. Now it wants me to turn off the popup blocker.
    But the stupid 'turn on your popups' auto-forwards after a few seconds,
    so it's a matter of dexterity: You have to hit that notification box on
    IE and click on the extra toolbar *before* the bloody website
    autoforwards and IE turns the popup bar off....

    After all that, it doesn't use popups at all for anything useful; it
    pops up a small box, then closes it with no user intervention, and then
    it just uses forms.... WTF? Who designs a website that a) needs a
    specific browser, aand b) needs popups just to fill out a form....
    Captain Dondo, Jun 29, 2005
    #4
  5. Captain Dondo wrote:
    > I just spent a half-an-hour fighting with Seagate's new RMA
    > website.... ARGHHH!!!!
    >
    > First off, it checks browser versions, and if you don't have
    > Netscape 7.0 or IE 5.5+ it won't work.... Forget Firefox.


    Will it work with Firefox's UA spoofing? See:
    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    Verry handy for toggling other stuff as well.

    > .... WTF? Who designs a website that a) needs a specific browser,
    > aand b) needs popups just to fill out a form....


    Fresh-outta-school deee-ziiiner who discovered New Tools To Play With.
    Write to Seagate and complain. Tastefully, of course. <g>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 29, 2005
    #5
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Will it work with Firefox's UA spoofing? See:
    > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    > Verry handy for toggling other stuff as well.


    Will check it out....

    >
    >> .... WTF? Who designs a website that a) needs a specific browser,
    >> aand b) needs popups just to fill out a form....

    >
    >
    > Fresh-outta-school deee-ziiiner who discovered New Tools To Play With.


    It's definitely got that 'kitchen sink' feel to it....

    > Write to Seagate and complain. Tastefully, of course. <g>


    Already done. Something about using IBM or Maxtor drives just so I
    don't have to put up with their RMA website.... ;-)

    I just had to vent a bit.... :)
    Captain Dondo, Jun 29, 2005
    #6
  7. Captain Dondo wrote:

    > Adrienne wrote:
    >
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Travis Newbury"
    >> <> writing in news:1120051785.377218.129270
    >> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >>
    >>> You know what would be a great browser feature? If the browser could
    >>> tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.
    >>>
    >>> The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    >>> takes the appropriate action with the links.
    >>>
    >>> Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
    >>> be a cool feature...
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> The problem is that too many people have abused pop-ups that most
    >> blockers block everything. That can get annoying quickly when you
    >> want to download something and the ****ing blocker blocks your
    >> download, or you _want_ that little calendar widget to open so you can
    >> select some date four months from now.
    >>
    >> That's one of the reasons I really like Opera. I can open pop-ups I
    >> _want_, and I don't have to save a list of allowed servers.
    >>

    >
    > I just spent a half-an-hour fighting with Seagate's new RMA website....
    > ARGHHH!!!!
    >
    > First off, it checks browser versions, and if you don't have Netscape
    > 7.0 or IE 5.5+ it won't work.... Forget Firefox.
    >


    Complain to the website and return their product. That's one way out of
    such nasty companies.
    Animesh Kumar, Jun 29, 2005
    #7
  8. Adrienne wrote:
    >>The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    >>takes the appropriate action with the links.
    >>Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
    >>be a cool feature...


    > The problem is that too many people have abused pop-ups that most
    > blockers block everything.


    I can not agree with you more. It is lke Flash, way too many (read that
    as most) have abused it.

    > That's one of the reasons I really like Opera. I can open pop-ups I
    > _want_, and I don't have to save a list of allowed servers.


    FF is similar I don't allow any servers, but the little line comes up
    and says "Hey this website is trying to open a window"...


    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jun 29, 2005
    #8
  9. mark | r wrote:
    >
    >>The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    >>takes the appropriate action with the links.


    > no thats just evil, there are better ways to advertise than POPUPS which
    > just suck (specially now everyones tabbed browsing)


    Who says it is for advertising? I see a lot more reasons to use a popup
    window than advertising. (I won't list them because I do not want this
    thread to be a "yea or nay" thread about popups.)


    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jun 29, 2005
    #9
  10. On 29/06/2005 23:50, Travis Newbury wrote:

    > mark | r wrote:


    [snip]

    >> [Testing for pop-up blockers is] just evil, there are better ways
    >> to advertise than POPUPS which just suck [...]

    >
    > Who says it is for advertising? I see a lot more reasons to use a
    > popup window than advertising.


    Yes, there are many reasonable uses for them, but abuse has all but
    killed the pop-up, whether it is legitimate or not.

    With regard to testing, though, that could just be exploited as another
    route towards abuse. For example, some unscrupulous person might
    discover that unrequested pop-ups are blocked, so they run a script that
    randomly adds event listeners to links within the document that will
    spawn pop-ups when clicked (I'm sure I've seen that happen already, to
    some degree).

    Besides, it would be a difficult thing for browsers to report in some
    cases as many pop-up blockers are third-party or transparent. Though
    built-in or plug-in blockers could signal that they're active, there
    would still be plenty of gaps.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
    Michael Winter, Jun 30, 2005
    #10
  11. Michael Winter wrote:

    >> Who says it is for advertising? I see a lot more reasons to use a
    >> popup window than advertising.

    > Yes, there are many reasonable uses for them, but abuse has all but
    > killed the pop-up, whether it is legitimate or not.


    You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
    unneeded


    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jun 30, 2005
    #11
  12. Travis Newbury

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    > takes the appropriate action with the links.


    Kinda can already using Javascript:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    var w = window.open("test.html","test");
    var popup_blocker_is_running = !w;
    w.close();
    </script>

    Whether it will work or not depends on the popup blocker.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Jun 30, 2005
    #12
  13. Travis Newbury

    mark | r Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    news:tmHwe.2387$...
    > Michael Winter wrote:
    >
    > >> Who says it is for advertising? I see a lot more reasons to use a
    > >> popup window than advertising.

    > > Yes, there are many reasonable uses for them, but abuse has all but
    > > killed the pop-up, whether it is legitimate or not.

    >
    > You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
    > unneeded


    name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
    the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all plain
    and unapologetyically wrong - use AJAX to give inline feedback, provide live
    updates of data, expand and collapse blocks of helpful content and/or extra
    options based on user feedback

    mark
    mark | r, Jun 30, 2005
    #13
  14. mark | r wrote:
    >>You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
    >>unneeded

    > name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
    > the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all plain
    > and unapologetyically wrong...


    You are obviously completely closed minded to any possible reason I
    could come up with, so why bother discussing it.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jun 30, 2005
    #14
  15. Travis Newbury

    mark | r Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    news:soPwe.13387$...
    > mark | r wrote:
    > >>You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
    > >>unneeded

    > > name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
    > > the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all

    plain
    > > and unapologetyically wrong...

    >
    > You are obviously completely closed minded to any possible reason I
    > could come up with, so why bother discussing it.
    >
    > --
    > -=tn=-


    no thats you your talking about - admit it!

    Mark
    mark | r, Jun 30, 2005
    #15
  16. Toby Inkster wrote :
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    >> takes the appropriate action with the links.

    >
    > Kinda can already using Javascript:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > var w = window.open("test.html","test");
    > var popup_blocker_is_running = !w;
    > w.close();
    > </script>
    >
    > Whether it will work or not depends on the popup blocker.


    I suppose you could also do something like this in javascript...
    <psuedo>

    in PAGE1
    popup a new page (PAGE2)

    if "This is from your child"
    the Popup Worked
    else
    the popup did not work
    fi

    in PAGE2
    set a flag in PAGE2's parent (PAGE1) saying "This is from your
    child"

    </psuedo>

    --
    a beef jerky web site : http://www.choicebeefjerky.com.au
    set an example : http://example.com
    talk to the teacher now and then about something other than the subject
    Disco Octopus, Jul 1, 2005
    #16
  17. Travis Newbury

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

    > You know what would be a great browser feature? If the browser could
    > tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.
    >
    > The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
    > takes the appropriate action with the links.
    >
    > Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
    > be a cool feature...


    Actually, that could be implemented now, -and fairly easily.

    Basically, open a test pop-up of minimal content, set a reasonable
    timer, and if you can't "confirm" it after the time limit = pop-up
    blocker.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
    Neredbojias, Jul 1, 2005
    #17
  18. Travis Newbury

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, mark | r quothed

    > name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
    > the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all plain
    > and unapologetyically wrong - use AJAX to give inline feedback, provide live
    > updates of data, expand and collapse blocks of helpful content and/or extra
    > options based on user feedback


    Up until recently, I had a website with many pages that *allowed the
    user the option* of opening borderless fullscreen images in popups for
    their viewing pleasure. However, with all the new controls appearing in
    the browsers and the stigma of ad popups making popup-blocking very
    desirable, I've decided to remove this feature and return to more
    traditional methods of image-rendering. Once again marketing
    "strategies" and disreputable *children* contribute to the decline of
    something worthwhile for the public in general.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
    Neredbojias, Jul 1, 2005
    #18
  19. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

    <snip>
    >> ... ? If the browser could
    >> tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.

    <snip>
    > Actually, that could be implemented now, -and fairly easily.
    >
    > Basically, open a test pop-up of minimal content, set a
    > reasonable timer, and if you can't "confirm" it after the
    > time limit = pop-up blocker.


    You have got your logic the wrong way around: Can 'confirm' widow
    opening = not a pop-up blocker. But; NOT not a pop-up blocker - does not
    equal - a pop-up blocker.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jul 1, 2005
    #19
  20. Travis Newbury

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Richard Cornford quothed

    > You have got your logic the wrong way around: Can 'confirm' widow
    > opening = not a pop-up blocker. But; NOT not a pop-up blocker - does not
    > equal - a pop-up blocker.


    Oh, absolutely true. My only thought here was to establish the facility
    to open another window, not to confirm the presence of a popup blocker
    specifically. Why would the distinction make any difference?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
    Neredbojias, Jul 2, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    361
    John Jay Smith
    Jul 13, 2006
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    279
    John Jay Smith
    Jul 13, 2006
  3. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    337
    johns
    Jul 14, 2006
  4. Tony Arcieri
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    435
    Tony Arcieri
    Dec 9, 2010
  5. Tony Arcieri
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    389
    Tony Arcieri
    Dec 14, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page