Cool Runner VCCAux Question

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Hawker, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Hawker

    Hawker Guest

    Hello.

    Doing a first design with a Cool Runner II (mostly done 9500 stuff in
    the past).
    Also first time using the new "Platform Cable USB" programmer. Always
    used the Parallel Cable III or IV in the past.
    I want to verify that I have VCCAux (the JTAG VCC) correct since I found
    three different notes in three different Xilinx Data Sheets.

    My CPLD has 2.8V and 3.3 I/O and 1.8V Core. 3.3 is always powered and
    1.8 and 2.8 are only powered when the on on board MPU enables them.

    I assume I should connect VccAUX to 3.3V and Pin 2 (Vref) of the
    Platform Cable USB. It looks like I must have 1.8V enabled to program
    the Xilinx. For some reason I thought that I read that with the new
    programmer I could program the CPLD without system power applied. Did I
    miss something? Somewhere I read to connect VccAUX to JTAG pin 2 (Vref)
    for this but the programing cable Data Sheet clearly shows this to be an
    input not output drive.

    Can someone please clarify that I am connecting this puppy correctly.

    Thanx
    Hawker

    Hawker, Jan 17, 2007