Copy ASP Project gives Internal Server Error

Andrew

(I've made two previous attempts to post this using MSDN's web interface,
but it doesn't seem to be working. I've switched to a newsreader, but I
apologize for the duplication if the other posts show up....)

I'm attempting to copy an ASP.net project developed on a local machine to
a web server, using the Copy Project menu command, as described in the
VS.Net Walkthroughs booklet. I have set up a website for this purpose on
the server and installed Front Page extensions on the site. I set up a
hostheader of "walkthrough" for the site, and I can see the postinfo.html
page from the local machine by using this host header.
(http://walkthrough/postinfo.html comes up correctly.)

When I attempt the Copy Project, I get a (not very helpful) message
saying: An error occured while copying the project
'http://localhost/MyWebForm/MyWebForm.csproj'. The Web server reported the
following error when attempting to create or open the Web project located at
the following URL: "http://walkthrough/". 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server
Error'. If I click the Help button, I get a "Topic Not Found" page, and I
can't seem to find anything about this in the knowledgebase.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

Andrew

Yes, the "Allow authors to upload executables" box is checked in the IIS
property dialog on the web server.

Thanks, though!

Andrew

Bingo. aspnet_wp.exe was failing to start because of a problem with the
user account it was trying to use. (To run as that user.)

A simple fix -- I just didn't know where to look.

Thanks very much for your help.

Andy

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Excellent that you got it fixed!

--
Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm?
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp