Copy/paste app for beta-test and/or comments

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hal Fulton, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Here's some mostly-finished code for anyone who wants to
    take a look at it.

    It's 90% finished. I'll do the "other 90%" later.

    Motivation:
    - I share my keyboard, video, and mouse between a Windows box
    and a Linux box (using a "kvm" switch).
    - The ease of hotkeying back and forth between them makes me want
    to be able to cut and paste between them.
    - I did look at Synergy, but it seemed a bit of a heavyweight
    solution (why, I can't remember).

    I've had assistance on this from both Harry Ohlsen and (of course)
    Lyle Johnson.

    Basically it just talks between two boxes via drb. The same code
    runs on both machines.

    If one box is Linux and the other is Windows, it will automatically
    "do the right thing."

    Otherwise, you should invoke them with an "a" or a "b" on the
    command line, respectively. (There's a client and a server on both
    sides; we just need to make sure we're talking and listening on
    the proper ports.)

    It definitely has some glitches and probably some outright bugs.
    Feel free to offer suggestions. Constructive ones, please. :)

    I'm running 1.8.0 on both boxes. Not sure whether earlier versions
    will work.

    Code can temporarily be found at: http://rubyhacker.com/c7.rb

    Thanks,
    Hal