Copy Project Help Needed

Paul Smith

I am new to using VB.net and am learning through a book, and it does not
cover this well enough!!!!

I have created a basic web page and can view this when my project is located
on my local machine using my local IIS.

I now want to upload or copy this to a remote server. I am using Copy
Project but cannot seem to get it right.

When using frontPage as the web access method, I get the message below:

"Unable to create Web project 'ABC'. Not Found"

In the destination project folder I was using -
"http://www.cricketersdarts.co.uk/ABC/"

What am I doing wrong? I have tried when ABC does and does not exists and
always an error.

I have no idea how to use the File share alternative method because I cannot
find anything that come close to working in the path field. I do not have a
share I can enter which describes the remote location.

Help anyone please.

Cactus Corp.

I now want to upload or copy this to a remote server. I am using Copy Project but cannot seem to get it right.

Hello there¨!
If you're developing and compiling local and deploying on a remote web server,
you can use simple synchronisation tools such as FTP or even webdav to upload
your files.

What you need to upload, mainly are:
- your ascx and aspx files
- your \bin\*.dll folder

You can also upload other resource files if needed such as
pictures, language files and so on.

This will also prevent someone else on the hosting web server to get direct
access to the source code of your project.

Antonio

Jeff Hora [MSFT]

Hi Paul,

There's actually a Microsoft Knowledgebase article about just this scenario:
"HOW TO: Deploy an ASP.NET Web Application Using the Copy Project Feature in
Visual Studio .NET" which can be found at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326356.

HTH

Regards,
--