copy protect

hywel.jenkins

Luc said:
How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

Fortunately this gets asked and answered every week. Answers range
from "If you've got to ask, you've got nothing worth hiding", through
"Save the code to floppy and put the disk under you bed", and on to
"You can't". Pick one that you like.

I suspect someone will come along and offer some dumb-ass JavaScript
"encryption" method. Don't bother. It won't work.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luc scraped:
How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text as
images, but that will only work until some geek creates a Klingon OCR
package.

diablo

You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text as
images, but that will only work until some geek creates a Klingon OCR
package.

I think I saw a Kligon OCR on download.com :)

You can place a copyright symbol with the words copyright by it - that will
stop anyone copying your stuff for sure.

Kal

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, diablo scraped:
I think I saw a Kligon OCR on download.com :)

The mind boggles, seriously it does! I suppose I'd better start
translating my sites into Ancient Vulcan then... Wait, don't tell me
someone's made an OCR program for that too? :s

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Dylan said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, diablo scraped:

as >> images, but that will only work until some geek creates a
Klingon OCR >> package.

The mind boggles, seriously it does! I suppose I'd better start
translating my sites into Ancient Vulcan then... Wait, don't tell me
someone's made an OCR program for that too? :s

What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.
Although, I must admit, it does make it easier to keep secrets from the
uninitiated, but still.

saz

How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?
If it's being viewed on a computer, then there is always a way to copy
the source.

You can make it difficult to copy, but not impossible.

Andy Dingley

Kim said:
What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.

Pobol y cwm ?

Leif K-Brooks

Dylan said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luc scraped:

You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text as
images, but that will only work until some geek creates a Klingon OCR
package.

And that still wouldn't stop anyone from copying your images verbatim.

Travis Newbury

Luc said:
How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

Don't listen to all the dorks here. Yes you can do it, and it is
simple (the "experts" just don't want to give out their secrets)

Use the (undocumented) <text-encrypt/> tag. I forget the parameters
for it, but you can google it to find out.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Kim André Akerø scraped:
What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.

Yes, very scary. I want to make it clear that I *needed* the subtitles
when watching Star Trek films with alien scenes!

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Andy Dingley scraped:
Pobol y cwm ?

LOL! (for those of you who don't know, Pobol y Cwm is a Welsh language
soap opera set in the South Wales valleys)

Leif K-Brooks

Travis said:
Use the (undocumented) <text-encrypt/> tag. I forget the parameters
for it, but you can google it to find out.

That's been deprecated since HTML 4.0 was released! Use CSS instead:

html {
text-encryption: rot26;

Alan J. Flavell

You can make it difficult to copy, but not impossible.

In other words, you can prevent people who can't be bothered to copy
it anyway, but it'll cause only minor delay to those who are serious
about getting a copy.

Anthony Buckland

People keep asking. The answer will always be the same. If your
display is visible on someone's screen, they can (1) photograph it,
or (2) copy the screen to their Clipboard (Windows) or the
equivalent. If you use HTML, they can look at the source -- if
they can look at the source, they can copy it. If they can copy
the HTML, they can extract the text. The only way to protect
your text is not to let anyone see it -- without, that is, paying
you enough that you feel compensated.

Jake

Kim André Akerø said:
What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.
Although, I must admit, it does make it easier to keep secrets from the
uninitiated, but still.
I don't know though. There's people in a certain part of the UK who
teach their children from infancy to speak a long-dead language ........
;-)

Must be a reason .........

regards.

Jake

Andy said:
Pobol y cwm ?

Many's the time I've complained to the broadcasters about their failure
to supply subtitles to Pobol y Cwn in Elvish .... but to no avail.

Do you think the European Court in Strasbourg could help ...?

regards.