  1. Luc

    Luc Guest

    How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    Luc, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Luc

    Guest

    Luc wrote:
    > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    Fortunately this gets asked and answered every week. Answers range
    from "If you've got to ask, you've got nothing worth hiding", through
    "Save the code to floppy and put the disk under you bed", and on to
    "You can't". Pick one that you like.

    I suspect someone will come along and offer some dumb-ass JavaScript
    "encryption" method. Don't bother. It won't work.

    --
    Hywel

    , Oct 17, 2005

  3. Luc

    Stuart Guest

    Luc wrote:
    > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    Don't put it on the internet. Simple.

    --
    Stuart Brown <>
    http://www.edesign.cc

    Stuart, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Luc

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luc scraped:

    > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text as
    images, but that will only work until some geek creates a Klingon OCR
    package.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Oct 17, 2005
  5. Luc

    diablo Guest

    > > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    > You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text as
    > images, but that will only work until some geek creates a Klingon OCR
    > package.

    I think I saw a Kligon OCR on download.com :)

    You can place a copyright symbol with the words copyright by it - that will
    stop anyone copying your stuff for sure.

    Kal

    diablo, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Luc

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, diablo scraped:

    >> You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text as
    >> images, but that will only work until some geek creates a Klingon OCR
    >> package.

    > I think I saw a Kligon OCR on download.com :)

    The mind boggles, seriously it does! I suppose I'd better start
    translating my sites into Ancient Vulcan then... Wait, don't tell me
    someone's made an OCR program for that too? :s

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, diablo scraped:
    >
    > >> You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text

    > as >> images, but that will only work until some geek creates a
    > Klingon OCR >> package.
    > >
    > > I think I saw a Kligon OCR on download.com :)

    > The mind boggles, seriously it does! I suppose I'd better start
    > translating my sites into Ancient Vulcan then... Wait, don't tell me
    > someone's made an OCR program for that too? :s

    What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
    fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.
    Although, I must admit, it does make it easier to keep secrets from the
    uninitiated, but still.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Luc

    saz Guest

    In article <qkP4f.25464$-ops.be>,
    says...
    > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    If it's being viewed on a computer, then there is always a way to copy
    the source.

    You can make it difficult to copy, but not impossible.

    saz, Oct 17, 2005
  9. Luc

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:

    > What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
    > fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.

    Pobol y cwm ?

    Andy Dingley, Oct 17, 2005
  10. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luc scraped:
    >
    >>How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    > You could write your Website in Klingon, and have all of your text as
    > images, but that will only work until some geek creates a Klingon OCR
    > package.

    And that still wouldn't stop anyone from copying your images verbatim.

    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 17, 2005
  11. Luc wrote:
    > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    Don't listen to all the dorks here. Yes you can do it, and it is
    simple (the "experts" just don't want to give out their secrets)

    Use the (undocumented) <text-encrypt/> tag. I forget the parameters
    for it, but you can google it to find out.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Oct 17, 2005
  12. Luc

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Kim André Akerø scraped:

    > What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
    > fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.

    Yes, very scary. I want to make it clear that I *needed* the subtitles
    when watching Star Trek films with alien scenes!

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Oct 17, 2005
  13. Luc

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Andy Dingley scraped:

    > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    >
    >> What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
    >> fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.

    > Pobol y cwm ?

    LOL! (for those of you who don't know, Pobol y Cwm is a Welsh language
    soap opera set in the South Wales valleys)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Oct 17, 2005
  14. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Luc wrote:
    >
    >>How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    > Use the (undocumented) <text-encrypt/> tag. I forget the parameters
    > for it, but you can google it to find out.

    That's been deprecated since HTML 4.0 was released! Use CSS instead:

    html {
    text-encryption: rot26;
    }

    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 17, 2005
  15. On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, saz wrote:

    > You can make it difficult to copy, but not impossible.

    In other words, you can prevent people who can't be bothered to copy
    it anyway, but it'll cause only minor delay to those who are serious
    about getting a copy.

    Alan J. Flavell, Oct 17, 2005
  16. Luc

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Luc quothed:

    > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    Use The Force, Luc.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 17, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    says...
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Luc quothed:
    >
    > > How can you make it so that the text on your website cannot be copied?

    > Use The Force, Luc.

    Get your coat - you're barred.

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 17, 2005
  18. People keep asking. The answer will always be the same. If your
    display is visible on someone's screen, they can (1) photograph it,
    or (2) copy the screen to their Clipboard (Windows) or the
    equivalent. If you use HTML, they can look at the source -- if
    they can look at the source, they can copy it. If they can copy
    the HTML, they can extract the text. The only way to protect
    your text is not to let anyone see it -- without, that is, paying
    you enough that you feel compensated.

    Anthony Buckland, Oct 17, 2005
  19. Luc

    Jake Guest

    In message <>, Kim André Akerø
    <> writes
    >Dylan Parry wrote:
    >
    >> Using a pointed stick and pebbles, diablo scraped:

    >> as >> images, but that will only work until some geek creates a
    >> Klingon OCR >> package.
    >> >
    >> > I think I saw a Kligon OCR on download.com :)

    >> The mind boggles, seriously it does! I suppose I'd better start
    >> translating my sites into Ancient Vulcan then... Wait, don't tell me
    >> someone's made an OCR program for that too? :s

    >What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
    >fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.
    >Although, I must admit, it does make it easier to keep secrets from the
    >uninitiated, but still.

    I don't know though. There's people in a certain part of the UK who
    teach their children from infancy to speak a long-dead language ........
    ;-)

    Must be a reason .........

    regards.
    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

    Jake, Oct 17, 2005
  20. Luc

    Jake Guest

    In message <>, Andy
    Dingley <> writes
    >Kim André Akerø wrote:
    >
    >> What REALLY scares me, is that some people actually bother to learn a
    >> fictional language from a TV show for communicating on a daily basis.

    >Pobol y cwm ?

    Many's the time I've complained to the broadcasters about their failure
    to supply subtitles to Pobol y Cwn in Elvish .... but to no avail.

    Do you think the European Court in Strasbourg could help ...?

    regards.
    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

    Jake, Oct 17, 2005