Copy protection software

John

I would like to use some third party software for copy protection, software
that prevents from copy paste program to another computer (not obfuscator).
I am looking for some good solution (hardware lock is not an option).
Can you reccomend me software based on your experiences?

Kevin Spencer

"copy paste" *what*?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
We got a sick zebra a hat,
you ultimate tuna.

John

"copy paste" *what*?

How do you protect your program from copying (not steeling source code)?
For example, you have installed your program on users PC. And someone copy
your program to another PC without your permission. I want to prevent this
by some good software.

Thanks

?

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Marcin_Grz=EAbski?=

Hi John,

I think that *copying* is not a keyword in your problem.
Why do you want to protect from *copying*?
Think about how to protect your software from *running*.

The best software protecting system i know is the Steam of Valve.
Of course there are allway some exceptions, but if you
want to fight with *copying* only then you'll always lose.

with regards
Marcin

John napisa³(a):

John

I think that *copying* is not a keyword in your problem.
Why do you want to protect from *copying*?
Think about how to protect your software from *running*.

The best software protecting system i know is the Steam of Valve.
Of course there are allway some exceptions, but if you
want to fight with *copying* only then you'll always lose.

Off course, I was thinking protection from running, not copying :)

Thanks

darrel

Off course, I was thinking protection from running, not copying :)

Best method? Price it fairly and provide great support to those that pay so
that there isn't a need for dealing with copy protection in the first place.
;o)

We've used a product that was produced by a company that is now out of
business. It worked by setting a key on the machine based on a particular
hardware installation. It works well, but we found that people do often
upgrade their machines and would call us to get a new license. There was no
way for us to tell if it was a legitimate license or not, so we just had to
trust folks.

Also, in some ways, we might have been better off had people actually copied
our software freely. We're a niche product in a niche market and we might
have gained a lot of ground in the early years if people had actually
pirated our software more. Sounds odd, I know.

A hardware dongle actually makes the most sense to me...I don't know why
these aren't used more often. Ideally, I'd be able to install software on as
many machines/platforms as I have/want to, then I could just cary by
bluetooth dongle with me wherever I go and it would recognize me and allow
me to launch the software.

As it is now, most copy protection software is based on the MACHINE...not
the user...which is frustrating.

-Darrel

John

Thanks for your opinion. I agree with you.
I don't know how hardware copy protection works. Does customer needs to have
hardware device (USB or similar) in order to run? I would rather use some
software protection, as my software will not be that popular :)

darrel

Thanks for your opinion. I agree with you.
I don't know how hardware copy protection works. Does customer needs to
have
hardware device (USB or similar) in order to run? I would rather use some
software protection, as my software will not be that popular :)

Well, that was sort of my counterpoint. If the software isn't that popular,
maybe figure out a way to let a lot of people use it freely. Maybe not
outright copying, but maybe there's a way to configure the feature
set/license so that people actually have a reason to share it with others to
help boost market saturation. In otherwords, maybe not lock the entire
application, but perhaps just a core set of features.

As for dongles, I'm no expert, but I think the jist is that a software key
is stored on the dongle (USB drive, most likely...maybe with non flashable
RAM) and one just carries it with them.

My 'dream' model of software licensing would be that all software is free to
download and install. Then, to run it, I need a license, which could be
stored on my 'license holder'. Perahaps a credit card sized thing that
communicates with the machine via bluetooth. All my keys for all my software
would be stored on this one card.

The whole 'license per machine' just doesn't make sense to me...unless it's
software just being used by the machine itself. If it's software that a
human uses, then the license should belong to the user...not some arbitrary
machine.

-Darrel

Ken Halter

darrel said:
Also, in some ways, we might have been better off had people actually
copied our software freely. We're a niche product in a niche market and we
might have gained a lot of ground in the early years if people had
actually pirated our software more. Sounds odd, I know.

It sounds odd but makes a lot of sense. I've claimed in the past (may or may
not be true) that the reason AutoCad is still around and CadKey is not
revolves around the fact that CadKey required a hardware dongle and AutoCad
had no protection at all.

That meant that people going to school for AutoCad (or just learning as a
hobby) could simply copy it onto their local PC and do their homework while
CadKey students had to get permission from the instructors to "borrow" the
dongle... and, any sane instructor would say "no way!" to a student wanting
to borrow something like that.

In case you're not familiar with CadKey, CadKey was an excellent CAD package
designed for mechanical engineering while, at the time, AutoCad was designed
for architectural drawings. imo, there was nothing better available. You can
still find CadKey "bones" in MasterCam (a top dev at CadKey transferred to
MasterCam when the CadKey guillotine fell)
A hardware dongle actually makes the most sense to me...I don't know why
these aren't used more often. Ideally, I'd be able to install software on
as many machines/platforms as I have/want to, then I could just cary by
bluetooth dongle with me wherever I go and it would recognize me and allow
me to launch the software.

Dongles can be the "scariest" of protection schemes. Especially the darned
sentinels! We have more issues with sentinels than any other brand. The main
problem is that their hardware drivers aren't loaded by the time the items
in the StartUp group begin to run.... which means we have to shut the app
down, wait for the PC to "settle" and restart the app. I ended up writing a
little VB app that "sits and spins", waiting for the System Idle Process to
reach (a user configurable) 95% for 3 seconds (moving the mouse, harddrive
activity, etc, all effect System Idle)... when that's been successful, that
little VB app launches the app in question.

Plus, some hackers get a real thrill out of cracking dongles. It doesn't
matter what the app is or does, as long as it requires a dongle, they'll
want to take a crack at it.

If anyone "goes dongle", please make it a USB! Those darned parallel port
dongles require that you dig the PC out of its "warm and fuzzy" cubby hole

William Stacey [MVP]

I think your right on. IMO, that is thee reason we are not all using Lotus
1-2-3. In school, that was the thing and MS was small guy on the
spreadsheet block. Lotus added some funky copy protection and the rest is
history. As for dongles, do yourself a favor and don't even think about
using them.

Tanja Krammer

Try armadillo/software passport from silicon realms. They seem to be the
best, although they only protect native code. But you can somehow make your
program depended on native dll.

Sumit Gupta

Hi,

If you ask me the best method from stoping your software from been pirated
is make it free... and ask money only for support. that is user can use it
without any kind of support from your side unless he pays for it...

this is how you make it popular and protect it as there is nothing to make
it pirated...

and I am not joking....
Sumit
I would like to use some third party software for copy protection, software
that prevents from copy paste program to another computer (not obfuscator).
I am looking for some good solution (hardware lock is not an option).
Can you reccomend me software based on your experiences?

dllhell

Sumit Gupta said:
Hi,

If you ask me the best method from stoping your software from been pirated
is make it free... and ask money only for support. that is user can use it
without any kind of support from your side unless he pays for it...

this is how you make it popular and protect it as there is nothing to make
it pirated...

and I am not joking....
Sumit

Communist! ;))

Sumit Gupta

who... me....naah

I just passing a great idea I took from open source, But I still believe in
selling software. But if u see toward pirated softwares this is what I feel
is best thing to do

I have my Own Chess Game in .Net its free on Internet now I doesn't fear of
piracy, and I am earning through it using Ads and other thing...
And i know if I have to sell it, I will make equal profit what i am getting
now but with more tension and fear than now..

So just a plain idea...

Sumit

Sumit Gupta said:
Hi,

If you ask me the best method from stoping your software from been pirated
is make it free... and ask money only for support. that is user can use it
without any kind of support from your side unless he pays for it...

this is how you make it popular and protect it as there is nothing to make
it pirated...

and I am not joking....
Sumit

Communist! ;))

Sumit Gupta

Don't work I took it as joke only and Please don't feel sorry ;-)
Btw I like you Name "DLLHELL" surely a MS Lover you are...

Sumit