    I have seen www.sofpro.com for references but the software has several
    weakness

    thanks in advance for any help

    Jose Jimenez, Nov 28, 2003

  2. >Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program that
    >runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

    That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
    writing it in the first place.

    Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
    a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
    refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
    that it was copy-protected in your advertising).

    Actually, having it run under MS-DOS by itself may discourage a lot
    of people from trying to run it.

    Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon Burditt, Nov 29, 2003

  3. "Jose Jimenez" <> wrote...

    > Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program that
    > runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

    I'm afraid I can't help you locate a copy protection system, because
    such a thing does not really exist.

    What you are looking for is something to prevent piracy of your
    software, and that is nearly impossible in current computing
    envionments. Instead, what you can do is make your software useful
    only when a relationship exists between the user and your company -
    eg. by providing good support, by acting as a service bureaux, or
    <insert healthy business practice here>.

    Modifying the software to run in an obfuscated fashion, or to require
    the attachment of a dongle to the computer only delays the inevitable
    - all parts of your code will be unpacked at some stage during it's
    execution, and someone with enough time and knowledge will be able to
    leverage this fact to steal your program.

    I don't think a perfect copy protection exists for any software
    environment yet. I am interested in what advances may be made in this
    field with the ongoing roll-out of 'trusted computing' initiatives.

    Save your time my friend, reinvest it in improving your software and
    business model so that piracy isn't a problem. Take a look around you,
    there are software systems 1000 times bigger than yours (at a guess)
    that don't use copy protection.

    Copy protection costs time and money, requires integration, is easily
    broken, and is more or less a flawed concept in general.

    </opinion>

    David.

    David M. Wilson, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Jose Jimenez

    JewBoy Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:29:29 GMT, "Gordon Burditt" said:

    >>Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program that
    >>runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

    > That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
    > writing it in the first place.
    >
    > Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
    > a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
    > refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
    > that it was copy-protected in your advertising).
    >
    > Actually, having it run under MS-DOS by itself may discourage a lot
    > of people from trying to run it.
    >
    > Gordon L. Burditt

    Or he could run it under linux. It's user base is so small there would be
    almost no one to steal it.

    JewBoy, Nov 29, 2003
  5. EventHelix.com, Nov 29, 2003
  6. David M. Wilson wrote:
    > "Jose Jimenez" <> wrote...
    >

    >>Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program that
    >>runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

    > I'm afraid I can't help you locate a copy protection system, because
    > such a thing does not really exist.

    True. I've never heard of a copy protection scheme that succeeded in
    preventing copying. I've often heard of copy protection schemes making
    the application annoying, inconvenient, or impossible to use for
    legitimate users.

    -Kevin

    Kevin Goodsell, Nov 29, 2003
  7. JewBoy wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:29:29 GMT, "Gordon Burditt" said:
    >
    >>>Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program
    >>>that runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

    >> That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
    >> writing it in the first place.
    >>
    >> Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
    >> a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
    >> refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
    >> that it was copy-protected in your advertising).

    Copy protection is also a way to make sure the customer is screwed when
    support for the product ends - I used to work for a software company who
    produced an expensive document storage package. The early versions for DOS
    were dongle protected, the later DOS and windows versions were keydisk
    protected. We had to regularly replace dongles and re-activate or replace
    keydisks (the disk allowed transfer of token onto hard-drive and could be
    remotely reactivated if not corrupted), the company closed down 2 and a
    half years ago leaving ex-customers who paid thousands per copy of the
    application with no chance of replacements. How does this help anyone.

    On a brighter note, our application was sold through UK and European
    divisions of a large japanese multi-national (no names but think 'large
    gun'), we later produced a replacement package under contract for the
    japanese head division of the company (so unlike the early software they
    owned the copyrights).

    Move on a few years and while this newer app was being sold in a 2.x version
    and develpment was progressing to a newer version the japanese company gave
    the contract to their own software division in india and effectively killed
    our company - leaving UK and european divisions with angry customers unable
    to obtain dongles/keydisks and them to explain to customers why their head
    office killed the only company who could help in persuit of cheap labour to
    produce the next version of the replacement product (I wonder how many
    potential buyers of the new product they lost because of this).

    Isn't self-inflicted justice fun ;-)

    --
    Nigel Feltham - spanking trolls since 1999

    Nigel Feltham, Nov 29, 2003
  8. On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:02:07 +0000, JewBoy wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:29:29 GMT, "Gordon Burditt" said:
    >
    >>>Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program that
    >>>runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

    >> That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
    >> writing it in the first place.
    >>
    >> Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
    >> a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
    >> refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
    >> that it was copy-protected in your advertising).
    >>
    >> Actually, having it run under MS-DOS by itself may discourage a lot
    >> of people from trying to run it.
    >>
    >> Gordon L. Burditt

    > Or he could run it under linux. It's user base is so small there would be
    > almost no one to steal it.

    There are a variety of copy protection schemes available to the
    dos/windows developers. Ask them.

    what is "compilated"? I thought one should say "compiled".

    joseph philip, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Jose Jimenez

     @ .  Guest

    Could you fine folks over in comp.lang.c please stop crossposting
    your replies in this thread to alt.os.linux.slackware? It's
    off-topic over here.

    (I will leave it to the fine folks over in comp.lang.c to comments
    on whether it's off-topic there.)

    Thanks in advance for helping us to keep the slackware newsgroup
    centered on slackware instead of copy protection.

     @ . , Nov 29, 2003
  10. Jose Jimenez

    Joseph Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:20:49 +0000,  @ .  < @ . > wrote:

    > Could you fine folks over in comp.lang.c please stop crossposting
    > your replies in this thread to alt.os.linux.slackware? It's
    > off-topic over here.
    >
    > (I will leave it to the fine folks over in comp.lang.c to comments
    > on whether it's off-topic there.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for helping us to keep the slackware newsgroup
    > centered on slackware instead of copy protection.

    Here's a sample of some threads from alt.os.linux.slackware in the recent
    past:

    [#Harold Stev] 180 Re: FAQ: Current Usenet spam thresholds and gu

    [Peter Christ] 4 OT(?) Slack,KDE and DVD-RAM

    [Lew Pitcher ] 30 Re: OT: (Gnu)PGP, Usenet and the RFCs (long

    [The Clap ] 29 Need an editor for large text files

    [Victor ] 2 newsgroup

    [Randy Myers ] Re: pgp trash negotiations

    [Alfons M ] 10 Spirits and politics behind distros

    [ModQuote_FAQ] 3 [OT] FAQ Mod Quotes -- (updated: Setting Orang

    [Charles Shan] Re: [OT] what's the best Google replacement?

    [Jim ] Re: [OT] Windows sells linux now?

    Me thinks they want comp.lang.c to do their work for them.....

    Joseph, Nov 30, 2003
  11. JewBoy <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:29:29 GMT, "Gordon Burditt" said:
    >

    >>>Hi Folks I wonder if somebody can help me to copy protect a C program that
    >>>runs under ms-dos compilated with djgpp... and gcc

    >>That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
    >>writing it in the first place.
    >>
    >>Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
    >>a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
    >>refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
    >>that it was copy-protected in your advertising).
    >>
    >>Actually, having it run under MS-DOS by itself may discourage a lot
    >>of people from trying to run it.
    >>
    >> Gordon L. Burditt

    > Or he could run it under linux. It's user base is so small there would be
    > almost no one to steal it.

    You're a stupid troll, and I really don't appreciate your fake e-mail
    address.

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Nov 30, 2003
  12. Jose Jimenez

    Doug Laidlaw Guest

    And what does that have to do with comp.os.linux.misc?

    Doug.
    Joseph wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:20:49 +0000, @ . < @ . > wrote:
    >>

    >> Could you fine folks over in comp.lang.c please stop crossposting
    >> your replies in this thread to alt.os.linux.slackware? It's
    >> off-topic over here.
    >>
    >> (I will leave it to the fine folks over in comp.lang.c to comments
    >> on whether it's off-topic there.)
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for helping us to keep the slackware newsgroup
    >> centered on slackware instead of copy protection.
    >>

    > Here's a sample of some threads from alt.os.linux.slackware in the recent
    > past:
    >
    > [#Harold Stev] 180 Re: FAQ: Current Usenet spam thresholds and gu
    >
    > [Peter Christ] 4 OT(?) Slack,KDE and DVD-RAM
    >
    > [Lew Pitcher ] 30 Re: OT: (Gnu)PGP, Usenet and the RFCs (long
    >
    > [The Clap ] 29 Need an editor for large text files
    >
    > [Victor ] 2 newsgroup
    >
    > [Randy Myers ] Re: pgp trash negotiations
    >
    > [Alfons M ] 10 Spirits and politics behind distros
    >
    > [ModQuote_FAQ] 3 [OT] FAQ Mod Quotes -- (updated: Setting Orang
    >
    > [Charles Shan] Re: [OT] what's the best Google replacement?
    >
    > [Jim ] Re: [OT] Windows sells linux now?
    >

    > Me thinks they want comp.lang.c to do their work for them.....

    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is

    Doug Laidlaw, Nov 30, 2003
  13. Jose Jimenez

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> "joseph philip"
    <> writes:

    > JewBoy <> wrote:

    >>>That's easy: DON'T SELL IT!! And perhaps you shouldn't even bother
    >>>writing it in the first place.
    >>>
    >>>Copy protection is a way of making software defective so that even
    >>>a legitimate purchaser won't want to use it. (He'll also want a
    >>>refund, which you should give him if you didn't notify the purchaser
    >>>that it was copy-protected in your advertising).
    >>>
    >>>Actually, having it run under MS-DOS by itself may discourage a lot
    >>>of people from trying to run it.
    >>>
    >>> Gordon L. Burditt

    >> Or he could run it under linux. It's user base is so small there would
    >> be almost no one to steal it.

    > You're a stupid troll, and I really don't appreciate your fake e-mail
    > address.

    Calm down. You make it sound like Auschwitz has some significance to
    Judaism.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Nov 30, 2003
  14. Jose Jimenez

     @ .  Guest

    Doug Laidlaw <> says...

    >And what does that have to do with comp.os.linux.misc?

    Here is the sequence:

    A troll tried to start a crossposted thread between
    comp.lang.c and alt.os.linux.slackware.

    I asked the fine folks in comp.lang.c to please not crosspost
    replies in the thread.

    Another troll, or maybe the same troll, then tried to start a
    crossposted thread between comp.lang.c, alt.os.linux.slackware,
    and comp.os.linux.misc. I assume that both crossposts are from
    the resident alt.os.linux.slackware troll who is getting no
    replies to his trolling posts.

    The fine folks at comp.os.linux.misc, like the fine folks at
    comp.lang.c, are too polite and too savvy to let themselves be
    manipulated into crossposting OT material into alt.os.linux.slackware.

    (BTW, Doug Laidlaw's reply is *not* part of the problem. he set
    followups to one newsgroup, which was exactly the right thing
    to do.)

     @ . , Nov 30, 2003
  15. Jose Jimenez

     @ .  Guest

    Dan Pop <> says...

    >Calm down. You make it sound like Auschwitz has some significance to
    >Judaism.

    Now the troll who crossposted to comp.lang.c and alt.os.linux.slackware,
    then to comp.lang.c, alt.os.linux.slackware, and comp.os.linux.misc is
    now crossposting to comp.lang.c, alt.os.linux.slackware,
    comp.os.linux.advocacy and comp.os.linux.misc.

    Sorry, Troll, but the participant in those newsgroups are all too
    smart to continue a crossposted thread that's off topic in every
    group you crossposted it to.

    .:\:/:.

     @ . , Nov 30, 2003

    Nigel Feltham, Nov 30, 2003