Copying a ASP.NET web project

Christina

What is the easiest way for me to take with me a development project (an
ASP.NET web application) on the laptop? I want to sit on the beach and do
some development work ;) and then copy it back onto the server when I get
back from vacation.

I use the MS Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise edition

Regards,
Christina

Samuel L Matzen

Christina,

Just copy the directory containing your project which is probably in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot from one machine to the other.

Then on the target machine you will need to go into IIS Manager, in Default
Web Site you will find your directory and notice the icon is a reglar
folder. Right click on this directory to get the Properties dialog. In the
Directory tab you will notice the Application name property is disabled.
Click Create to create the application and click ok.

Now you should be able to go into your project directory and open the vbproj
file and your main project should open up. If you have multiple projects
you will need to add them to your solution.

-Sam Matzen

WL

I thought you ought to make sure that
1. the *.webconfig file contains the correct URL
2. The directory just "above" your application directory is shared

Wim

Samuel L Matzen

Wim,

And I think if you don't place the project in the same directory as on the
original machine you will need to use a text editor and modify the *.webinfo
file.

-Sam Matzen

Christina

Thanks guys! It worked :)