copying value of DDL in a Datagrid "pre-edit command" to value in "post edit command"

San Diego Guy

Hi all!
I have Datagrid.
Within that datagrid I have a drop down list that I set up some values in (a
"collection")

I set up an edit command column on the datagrid and wrote simple code to get
me in to edit mode:
sub dgEdit(ByVal s As Object, ByVal e As DataGridCommandEventArgs)
dgStatus.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
bindData() 'This is just a sub I wrote to re-bind the data
end sub

So, when I click edit in the datagrid, it goes in to edit mode... but the
value that was displayed where the drop down list gets put in does not show
up, it shows the first item in the ddl 'collection'.

I figured that I had to grab the value of that control before the edit so I
added the following in to the above sub:
dim ddlStatus as DropDownList
ddlStatus = e.Item.FindControl("ddlStatus")

Now I figure I can probably access that value with something like:
ddlStatus.SelectedItem.Text

Problem is, how do I them put that in to the selected text for the
"post-edit" drop down list?

I hope this makes sense, if not please post and I'll try to give more
information.
Thanks all!
Steve