    Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
    website?
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Nico Schuyt

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:04:34 +0200, "Nico Schuyt" <>
    wrote:

    : Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
    : website?

    Where did you find the pictures? Was there a copyright?

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt" wrote:

    >> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
    >> on a website?

    > Where did you find the pictures? Was there a copyright?

    If the owner of the site doesn't state the copyright explicitly, it means I
    can use the picture?
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Aug 7, 2003
  4. While the city slept, Nico Schuyt <> feverishly
    typed:

    > Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
    > on a website?

    IANAL, but as far as I understand it copyright exists until 75 years after
    the death of the artist.

    I repeat. IANAL. There may be issues involved with the pictures you have.
    You may better off asking this in a more legal-oriented group.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    "How strange the change from major to minor..."

    nice.guy.nige, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
    > on a website?

    OK, thanks all for replying.
    I think it's solved with the 'little risk' mentioned by Fran├žois :)
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Nico Schuyt

    John W. Guest

    "Nico Schuyt" <>:

    >Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
    >website?

    You have an original?
    If not you use a copy made by someone?

    Doei.

    John OO
    --

    <http://webcel.nl/>
    <http://www.webcel.nl/bayshop/shop/bayshop.html>

    "Time is what prevents everything from happening at once"
    - John Archibald Wheeler -

    John W., Aug 7, 2003
  7. Nico Schuyt

    Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    >Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
    >website?

    Content is irrelevant. Who _created_ the picture ?

    Stealing web images is more easily detected now than it used to be.
    There's a good chance of getting caught doing it.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 7, 2003
  8. Nico Schuyt

    Richard Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:>>

    > Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
    > website?
    > Regards, Nico

    It's public domain and there is no copyright.
    Regardless of the fact that a book publisher may claim they havc a
    copyright, it is not on that painting, or any artwork from before 1900 or
    so.
    The only thing they can copyright is their own original work.

    Richard, Aug 8, 2003
  9. Nico Schuyt

    Richard Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:>>

    > Sid Ismail wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt" wrote:

    >>> Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo)
    >>> on a website?

    >> Where did you find the pictures? Was there a copyright?

    > If the owner of the site doesn't state the copyright explicitly, it means
    > I can use the picture?
    > Nico

    Not necessarily. If it's not in the public domain and they actually do have
    a copyright on the artwork, then you could be walking on thin ice. The
    copyright office will know if the artwork is public domain or not. Most well
    known artist's works are public domain.
    They just can't say they have a copyright and hope you don't steal the
    image.
    Many web site owners are under the wrong impression that what ever they put
    on their site is copyright protected. It is not.

    Richard, Aug 8, 2003
  10. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
    > website?

    Do you mean pictures *of* ancient artists, or pictures *by* ancient
    artists?

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 8, 2003
  11. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is it allowed to use pictures of ancient artists (like Michelangelo) on a
    >> > website?

    >> Do you mean pictures *of* ancient artists, or pictures *by* ancient
    >> artists?

    > Both could mean the same thing if you take "of" in the context of
    > "belonging to".

    That was rather my point - 'of' is ambiguous in this case.

    I guess I could have made myself clearer:

    Do you mean pictures *portraying* ancient artists, or pictures *by*
    ancient artists?

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 9, 2003
  12. Nico Schuyt

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    Let's put it this way...

    If a photographer gets permission to take the Mona Lisa out in a scenic field
    somewhere to include it in the photograph, then it's pretty clear who owns the
    photo.

    Now if that same photographer goes into an art gallery and does a closeup shot,
    there is zero chance of anyone knowing where the original photo came from due
    to how many of these are out there.

    It would be like doing a page on the history of America, and including a
    standard photo of the White House that you didn't take yourself. Nothing is
    going to happen to you.

    Talc Ta Matt, Aug 9, 2003
  13. Nico Schuyt

    Roseb441702 Guest

    >If the owner of the site doesn't state the copyright explicitly, it means I
    >can use the picture?

    No, it doesn't mean that you can use the picture. Even if an image doesn't
    have a copyright symbol it is still owned by the person that created it (or
    owned by the person that owns the copyright)

    Sorry

    Rose
    "Give A ShoutOut To The World!"
    Put Your Voice Message Online at: