copyright

Morris

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I'm sure
you will direct me to the right place. If I cut out a part of a copyright
picture and add it to my own creation to put on my website, will I be
violating the copyright law even if the picture I made is different from the
picture that I took from the coptyrighted part from?

brucie

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question

it is not
If I cut out a part of a copyright picture and add it to my own
creation to put on my website, will I be violating the copyright law
even if the picture I made is different from the picture that I took
from the coptyrighted part from?

what made you think asking in a newsgroup would be a good idea? the best
and only advice is to talk to your lawyer.

while you're waiting for the appointment with your lawyer you may want
to google on "derivative works" for a bit of background information.

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&q=derivative+works

Morris

Thanks for the nice friendly answer. I chose a newsgroup because this deals
with a web site. I'm sure others would be interested in the same
information.

Richard

Morris! said:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I'm sure
you will direct me to the right place. If I cut out a part of a copyright
picture and add it to my own creation to put on my website, will I be
violating the copyright law even if the picture I made is different from
the picture that I took from the coptyrighted part from?

Depends on the nature of the cut out part. If it is of a building, or a
scene of nature, that is public domain, fair use, then the copyright owner
can't do a damn about it.
If the cut out is that of a person and the person can be identified, then
yes, you could be in trouble.

Joel Shepherd

Richard said:
Depends on the nature of the cut out part. If it is of a building,
or a scene of nature, that is public domain, fair use, then the
copyright owner can't do a damn about it.

I smell BS. Richard, are you a lawyer?

Hywel Jenkins

Depends on the nature of the cut out part. If it is of a building, or a
scene of nature, that is public domain, fair use, then the copyright owner
can't do a damn about it.

Rubbish. If I take a photo of you *I* own the copyright. The same is
that case with buildings or scenes of nature. It's the image that's
copyrighted, not what's in it.

Eric Bohlman

Depends on the nature of the cut out part. If it is of a building, or
a scene of nature, that is public domain, fair use, then the copyright
owner can't do a damn about it.

That has nothing to do with it. Entire photographs are almost *never* in
the public domain, regardless of their subject. Rules for fair use vary
from country to country, but again they aren't based on subject matter.
If the cut out is that of a person and the person can be identified,
then yes, you could be in trouble.

That's a completely different issue from copyright. Even if you do have
permission from the copyright holder to use a photo, you may *also* need
permission from the subject to use his likeness.

Sid Ismail

: Thanks for the nice friendly answer. I chose a newsgroup because this deals
: with a web site. I'm sure others would be interested in the same
: information.

Others here all ex-lawyers.

Sid

Whitecrest

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I'm sure
you will direct me to the right place. If I cut out a part of a copyright
picture and add it to my own creation to put on my website, will I be
violating the copyright law even if the picture I made is different from the
picture that I took from the coptyrighted part from?

Yes, you are violating the law. (Of course there are a few exceptions)
You took an original work and without the authors (or artist in this
case) permission you altered it.

Whitecrest

Depends on the nature of the cut out part. If it is of a building, or a
scene of nature, that is public domain, fair use, then the copyright owner
can't do a damn about it.

A photograph of the building is fair use, using someone else's pictures
(or part of) the same building is not (necessarily) fair use.
If the cut out is that of a person and the person can be identified, then
yes, you could be in trouble.

ESPECIALLY if that person is a minor

Dylan Parry

Morris said:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I'm
sure you will direct me to the right place. If I cut out a part of a
copyright picture and add it to my own creation to put on my website,
will I be violating the copyright law even if the picture I made is
different from the picture that I took from the coptyrighted part from?

The best advice I can give, not being a lawyer, is to simply not use
images from websites unless you know they are royalty-free or public
domain images. If in doubt simply don't use the image.

Morris

Morris said:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I'm sure
you will direct me to the right place. If I cut out a part of a copyright
picture and add it to my own creation to put on my website, will I be
violating the copyright law even if the picture I made is different from the
picture that I took from the coptyrighted part from?

Thank you. Now I know which way I'll go. The web page
http://www.copyright.gov/ was also helpfull.

Richard

Rubbish. If I take a photo of you *I* own the copyright. The same is
that case with buildings or scenes of nature. It's the image that's
copyrighted, not what's in it.

If I take a picture of Mt. Rushmore, I own the copyright to "THAT" photo.
Not the contents.
If I publish that photo, sell it, can I sue others for taking the same photo
from the same spot?
No.
What if I take an exclusive photo of GW Bush standing in front of Mt.
Rushmore?
Then after I publish and sell the photo, others do to.
That sir, is copyright infringement.
Actually, the person could be any one. What that does is clearly defines the
photo as mine. Not public domain.

One guy tried suing a newspaper becuase the paper used his airplane, with
the numbers blocked out, saying this was a typical drug runner's plane. The
court didn't buy the argument. The paper did not say who owned the plane.

"Derivative works" means something I created, then later after copyrighting
that, I do something else to it and want to claim copyright on that as well.

Read all about copyright at the US Copyright office.
I have.

Richard

Who's to say two people didn't take the same photo?
Go to lake Tahoe. Go around the road. You'll find a spot where there is an
island just off shore.
That same photo I have seen dozens of places, including in my dad's library.
The Golden Gate Bridge? Every tourist with a camera takes the same pictures
by the hour.
Google returned 2200 hits for Mt. Rushmore.
Each and every one is copyrighted by the owner. Yet they are all the same
subject matter.
Technically, you can't copyright items in "public domain" or in "fair use".

A photograph of the building is fair use, using someone else's pictures
(or part of) the same building is not (necessarily) fair use.
ESPECIALLY if that person is a minor

Hywel Jenkins

If I take a picture of Mt. Rushmore, I own the copyright to "THAT" photo.
Not the contents.

Correct. That's what I said, retard.
If I publish that photo, sell it, can I sue others for taking the same photo
from the same spot?
No.

Correct. That's what I said, retard.
What if I take an exclusive photo of GW Bush standing in front of Mt.
Rushmore?
Then after I publish and sell the photo, others do to.
That sir, is copyright infringement.

Correct. That's what I said, retard.

Read all about copyright at the US Copyright office.

You can hardly read. You're an idiot and we know you're an idiot.
There's no need for you to continuously remind us.

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Richard said:
[...]

That's not the scenerio the original poster was referring to at all. He was
saying that if he literally takes a copyrighted photo...and only uses a part
of that photo...is he in violation. Yes, he is. He's taken a part of a
copyrighted photo and claimed it as his own. You can't do that.

--Tina

Whitecrest

If I take a picture of Mt. Rushmore, I own the copyright to "THAT" photo.
Not the contents.
If I publish that photo, sell it, can I sue others for taking the same photo
from the same spot?
No.

But you can sue them for using YOUR photo from that spot.