    application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
    libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

    Thanks

    Dave, May 26, 2005

  2. EventHelix.com, May 26, 2005

  3. Dave

    Rapscallion Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
    > appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
    > version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
    > up not useful for specific application. It seems that use other specific
    > libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
    > build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
    > the long run.
    >
    > I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
    > application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
    > libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

    For client/server appplications C++ is not the right 'environment'. Not
    because the language is inappropriate (quite contrary) but because
    there is no C++ 'community' that is interested in and builds usable
    frameworks for this tasks. Just switch to the Java platform with its
    abundant offerings in this area.

    R.C.

    Rapscallion, May 26, 2005
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Rapscallion wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
    >>appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
    >>version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
    >>up not useful for specific application. It seems that use other specific
    >>libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
    >>build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
    >>the long run.
    >>
    >>I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
    >>application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
    >>libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

    > For client/server appplications C++ is not the right 'environment'. Not
    > because the language is inappropriate (quite contrary) but because
    > there is no C++ 'community' that is interested in and builds usable
    > frameworks for this tasks. Just switch to the Java platform with its
    > abundant offerings in this area.

    Java has been the platform I m looking into. More over, I m building
    embedded application, Java platform will take considerable capacity in
    the base system. I could probably build a C++ server and Java clients.

    Thanks
    Sam

    Dave, May 26, 2005
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dave, May 26, 2005
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
    > appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
    > version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
    > up not useful for specific application. It seems that use other specific
    > libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
    > build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
    > the long run.
    >
    > I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
    > application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
    > libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

    I would think that SOUP is worth to look into for building a
    client/server applicatoin. Does it have java version?

    Dave, May 26, 2005
  7. Dave

    baalbek Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of client/server
    > appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem with its older
    > version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++ library, but it ends
    > up not useful for specific application.

    ????? What specific application? CORBA is used in countless (many
    mission-critical) applications in banking, finace, science (etc etc etc).

    >It seems that use other specific
    > libraries like botan/cryptopp, regexx, sockets, xml libraries could
    > build a much more reliable application and thus easier to maintain in
    > the long run.

    Well, for simple, non-mission critical applications not under heavy
    load, you could just pass xml messages over the wire (the SOAP way), or
    use sockets and implement your own marshalling technology. Good luck!

    CORBA is designed to solve one problem: communication between objects
    over the wire written in different languages. And it solves this very
    well. The J2EE technology has borrowed heavily from CORBA, and even uses
    the same protocol, the IIOP.

    > I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
    > application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
    > libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

    Whats wrong with ACE/TAO? There is OmniORB
    (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net) which is really efficient and stable,
    there are commercial offerings from IONA (ORBIX and ORBACUS), and many
    others.

    There is also ICE (http://www.zeroc.com/) which is a better and simpler
    CORBA.

    Anyway, distributed computing is NOT easy, and the different frameworks
    reflect that. Even SOAP, which started out as a simple solution to
    distributed objects, are now reinventing the wheels you find in CORBA,
    out of sheer necessity. Soon, SOAP and similar XML messaging
    technologies end up as complex and "unmaintaniable" as CORBA.

    Regards,
    Baalbek

    baalbek, May 27, 2005
  8. Dave

    Sam Guest

    baalbek wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> I heard that CORBA/TAO is not only overkilled for most of
    >> client/server appplication, it also has serious compatibility problem
    >> with its older version. CORBA/TAO tend to be a general purpose C++
    >> library, but it ends up not useful for specific application.

    > ????? What specific application? CORBA is used in countless (many
    > mission-critical) applications in banking, finace, science (etc etc etc).
    >
    >> It seems that use other specific libraries like botan/cryptopp,
    >> regexx, sockets, xml libraries could build a much more reliable
    >> application and thus easier to maintain in the long run.

    > Well, for simple, non-mission critical applications not under heavy
    > load, you could just pass xml messages over the wire (the SOAP way), or
    > use sockets and implement your own marshalling technology. Good luck!
    >
    > CORBA is designed to solve one problem: communication between objects
    > over the wire written in different languages. And it solves this very
    > well. The J2EE technology has borrowed heavily from CORBA, and even uses
    > the same protocol, the IIOP.
    >

    >> I m wondering whether this is truth in most of client/server/system
    >> application that written in C++. Can anyone also suggest few good C++
    >> libraires that I can replace current ACE/TAO libraries?

    > Whats wrong with ACE/TAO? There is OmniORB
    > (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net) which is really efficient and stable,
    > there are commercial offerings from IONA (ORBIX and ORBACUS), and many
    > others.
    >
    > There is also ICE (http://www.zeroc.com/) which is a better and simpler
    > CORBA.
    >
    > Anyway, distributed computing is NOT easy, and the different frameworks
    > reflect that. Even SOAP, which started out as a simple solution to
    > distributed objects, are now reinventing the wheels you find in CORBA,
    > out of sheer necessity. Soon, SOAP and similar XML messaging
    > technologies end up as complex and "unmaintaniable" as CORBA.

    Thanks for your explaination. It definitely solved my concerns of using
    ACE/TAO in a client/server project.

    Thanks
    Sam

    Sam, May 28, 2005