    debugging those.

    Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe Van Dyk, Jul 14, 2005

  2. I know there is a big warning about making sure to compile ruby with
    --enable-pthread if you have a thread enabled Tk. Maybe this is the
    problem? What platform/ruby/tk versions have you got?

    I'm afraid I don't know much about debugging core files either though.

    Jason

    Jason Foreman, Jul 14, 2005

  3. From: Joe Van Dyk <>
    Subject: core dump
    Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 04:55:08 +0900
    > My ruby/tk application is segfaulting. Seemingly randomly. How can I
    > figure out why? I have a core dump, but don't have much experience
    > debugging those.

    First of all, please try to the latest version of tcltklib on CVS.
    If you use Ruby 1.8 or 1.9, I think that you'll be able to
    replace only tcltklib.c (and stubs.c) to the latest version(s).

    If you get SEGV on the latest also, please report the followings.
    * Ruby version:
    return value of "ruby -v"

    * Compile information of tcltklib
    return value of "ruby -r tcltklib -e 'p TclTkLib::COMPILE_INFO"

    * Tcl/Tk library version:
    return value of "ruby -r tk -e 'p Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL"

    * pthread support on Ruby:
    For example on linux, does "ldd /usr/local/bin/ruby" include
    libpthread.so ?

    * thread support on Tcl/Tk libraries:
    For example on linux, does "ldd /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.4.so"
    include libpthread.so ?

    * release date of tcltklib:
    return value of "ruby -r tcltklib -e 'p TclTkLib::RELEASE_DATE'

    * release date of tkutil:
    return value of "ruby -r tkutil -e 'p TkUtil::RELEASE_DATE'

    * release date of tk:
    return value of "ruby -r tkutil -e 'p Tk::RELEASE_DATE'

    * (If you can) the script which raises SEGV

    * (If you can) the patch to fix the SEGV trouble ;-)

    If you use some Tcl/Tk extensions, please check whether the extensions
    are compiled under current Tcl/Tk libraries.
    The reason of SEGV sometimes depends on the extensions.
    If so, that cannot be fixed on Ruby/Tk side probably.
    Please try the latest version of such extensions.
    --
    Hidetoshi NAGAI ()
    Hidetoshi NAGAI, Jul 15, 2005