    Is there a code to generate yaml file out of all gems in the
    repository?

    - Roustem

    Roustem Karimov, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Roustem Karimov

    Guest

    * Roustem Karimov <> [2005-02-16 01:54:52 +0900]:

    > I am working on a few in-house ruby projects. We have different
    > environments and rubygems looks like a great way to install and manage
    > ruby apps across multiple servers.

    Hmm, interesting.

    > I configured internal gems repository and setup rake to publish the
    > apps. Everything is perfect except one small thing. Gem tool expects to
    > have "/yaml.Z" or "/yaml" file in the repository with all gemspecs in
    > it. I create it manually for now...

    Can you give some more detail.
    Is each computer required to do a 'gem install'?
    If so, (assuming all the computers can see a local gem repository)
    why didn't you just install the apps into this directory?
    Is it because of the different environments? If so, what
    was the specific hindrance, if you don't mind.

    --
    Jim Freeze
    Code Red. Code Ruby

    , Feb 15, 2005

  3. > Is each computer required to do a 'gem install'? If so, (assuming
    > all the computers can see a local gem repository) why didn't you
    > just install the apps into this directory?

    Yes. It is very convenient. We installed rubygems on all servers and
    created .gemrc file with

    gem: --source http://buildbox/

    Now, the only thing administrator does to redeploy the application is
    type "gem install appXYZ". He doesn't have to worry about location or
    version number.

    Using a common directory has some issues, e.g. firewalls between
    servers, etc. Using HTTP-based repository is so much easier. Besides,
    we do the same thing for Java apps as well.

    Roustem Karimov, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Roustem Karimov

    Guest

    * Roustem Karimov <> [2005-02-16 03:49:52 +0900]:

    > > Is each computer required to do a 'gem install'? If so, (assuming
    > > all the computers can see a local gem repository) why didn't you
    > > just install the apps into this directory?

    > Yes. It is very convenient. We installed rubygems on all servers and
    > created .gemrc file with
    >
    > gem: --source http://buildbox/
    >
    > Now, the only thing administrator does to redeploy the application is
    > type "gem install appXYZ". He doesn't have to worry about location or
    > version number.
    >
    > Using a common directory has some issues, e.g. firewalls between
    > servers, etc. Using HTTP-based repository is so much easier. Besides,
    > we do the same thing for Java apps as well.

    This is nice.
    I am curious. Why did you not use RPA?
    Do you have a way to do a complete build from scratch?

    --
    Jim Freeze
    Code Red. Code Ruby

    , Feb 15, 2005
  5. wrote:
    > I am curious. Why did you not use RPA?

    I didn't know about RPA. RubyGems had better marketing, I guess... :)

    > Do you have a way to do a complete build from scratch?

    Rake builds, tests, and copies the gem to repository in one command.

    Roustem Karimov, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Roustem Karimov

    Chad Fowler Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:54:52 +0900, Roustem Karimov
    <> wrote:
    > I am working on a few in-house ruby projects. We have different
    > environments and rubygems looks like a great way to install and manage
    > ruby apps across multiple servers.
    >
    > I configured internal gems repository and setup rake to publish the
    > apps. Everything is perfect except one small thing. Gem tool expects to
    > have "/yaml.Z" or "/yaml" file in the repository with all gemspecs in
    > it. I create it manually for now...

    Very cool! David Heinemeir Hansson is also doing this for the beta
    gems of Rails. For a simple solution, you can also use the gem_server
    that comes with RubyGems, but it requires you to leave a webrick
    process running.

    > Is there a code to generate yaml file out of all gems in the
    > repository?

    Rich created this for RubyForge. I think it will do what you want:

    http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcv...rubygems&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

    --

    Chad Fowler
    http://chadfowler.com