Correct syntax conditional comment?

Blinky the Shark

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 04:37:25
GMT asdf scribed:

<GaG> That was worse than Blinky's odious ode.

Odious? ODIOUS?! I...I...well, okay.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:34:47
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Odious? ODIOUS?! I...I...well, okay.

Don't take it so badly. Fish aren't really known for their ways with
words.

Toby A Inkster

dorayme said:
I recommend Master and Commander.
(Hey Boji, Officer White is sure in charge of this one).

I may have mentioned this before, but Officer White and I went to the same
high school (though not concurrently).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 10 days, 15:56.]

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:33:52 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
You're schizophrenic
And so are you

Ah, much better! If you were an eel, they might even label you "The Henry
Wadsworth Longfellow of the Sea". -Or "Ol' Yammer Yap", who knows?

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 05:53:10 GMT
dorayme scribed:
Half like you then... Officer White has tried everything and you
still go on...

See, that's the trouble. When you hang around people who are a bad
influence, you're bound to pick up some of those bad influences despite
your best efforts to avoid them. I plead guilty but not accountable;
droning females just naturally make me spout off.

Blinky the Shark

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:33:52 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:

Ah, much better! If you were an eel, they might even label you "The Henry
Wadsworth Longfellow of the Sea". -Or "Ol' Yammer Yap", who knows?

I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors of
silent seas...

Harlan Messinger

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 04:20:15
GMT Harlan Messinger scribed:

Probably. She's a lot harder to shut up than to start in the talking
department.

That's not the part I was joking about, but I'm sorry to hear it.

William Gill

dorayme said:
Don't get me going William! Underneath its painting by numbers I
was seeing a highly unlikely cloying social message about
families. But never mind, the main thing was its straining
unlikelihoods. Superman was far more honest and likely in my
estimation.
It may be that it was too long ago for me to remember any underlying
message. I never like arrogant Hollywood semi-literate types telling
everyone how the world should be, but most times they can't help
themselves (It's not the ego I mind, it's the abuse of the podium). I
did say it was flawed. I remember having to throw out some of the
trash, I just don't remember the specifics. To put it in perspective,
my recollection would be much different if it cost me $9.00 per person
as opposed to the free DVD rental it was. Then again, I enjoy the Die
Hard movies, and they make absolutely no pretense at "honest or likely",
and I don't mind paying $9.00 a head. If I watched only "good" movies,
I would watch far fewer than I already do. There are times when the
only way to rest my brain is to occupy it with something that takes no
real thought. I have often described motorcycle riding as great
meditation. The rider must focus on the mechanics and the environment.
No monumental mental task, but it keeps the mind off "the bills",
deadlines, performance appraisals, etc. In addition the sheer joy and
freedom of riding provides so much positive mental energy. How quickly
could I destroy that if I begin dissecting it for risk factor,
practicality, cost benefit analysis, and so on. Like the man said,
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
I realise this following bit is going to be strictly OT but If
you want a film that is a rollicking good natured tale with no
'great underlying meaning', I recommend Master and Commander.
Again a while ago, but I think it was more up the scale on my hot dog/
strip steak meter.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:05:21
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors
of silent seas...

Having such yearnings, you should rent the film "The Creature from the
Black Lagoon". Not only does it contain an interestingly wet-suited
mutant, but I believe it is Clint Eastwood's first appearance in a major
movie, -at least it was the first time I saw him in one. He plays the
token scientist, a role later relegated to the Japanese.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:37:09 GMT
Harlan Messinger scribed:
That's not the part I was joking about, but I'm sorry to hear it.

I know, but you'd be a lot sorrier if you _had to_ hear it... To give you
a rough idea - imagine dorayme on speed after her seventh cup of coffee.

dorayme

Toby A Inkster said:
I may have mentioned this before, but Officer White and I went to the same
high school (though not concurrently).

No, or at least I have never heard this. I now have a new picture
in my mind.

It has been theorised with some justification that most actors
are connected with each other in very few steps. One step is
acting in the same film, two is acting with an actor who has
acted in the same film...). There is probably some surprising
statistic of chances of connection for the general public with
the famous.

------------------
* If I have trouble persuading him to do some things to my
enemies, (he is not usually hard to persuade but even the most
ruthless of men have some limits), I might call on your help. I
understand he is very loyal to institutions he has childhood
connections with (he even likes to buy football clubs).

dorayme

William Gill said:
If I watched only "good" movies,
I would watch far fewer than I already do. There are times when the
only way to rest my brain is to occupy it with something that takes no
real thought.

Ludwig Wittgenstein, the 20th Century German philosopher liked to
go the flicks in England after his intense classes and sit right
on the front row.

-------------------
* "Wittgenstein was always exhausted by his lectures. He was also
revolted by them. He felt disgusted with what he had said and
with himself. Often he would rush off to a cinema immediately
after the class ended. As the members of the class began to move
their chairs out of the room he might look imploringly at a
friend and say in a low tone, `Could you go to a flick?' On the
way to the cinema Wittgenstein would buy a bun or cold pork pie
and munch it while he watched the film. He insisted on sitting in
the very first row of seats, so that the screen would occupy his
entire field of vision, and his mind would be turned away from
the thoughts of the lecture and his feelings of revulsion. Once
he whispered to me `This is like a shower bath!' His observation
of the film was not relaxed or detached. He leaned tensely
forward in his seat and rarely took his eyes off the screen. He
hardly ever uttered comments on the episodes of the film and did
not like his companion to do so. He wished to become totally
absorbed in the film no matter how trivial or artificial it was,
in order to free his mind temporarily from the philosophical
thoughts that tortured and exhausted him" (Norman Malcolm, Ludwig
Wittgenstein: A Memoir [London, 1958], pp. 27-28)

Toby A Inkster

dorayme said:
It has been theorised with some justification that most actors are
connected with each other in very few steps. One step is acting in the
same film, two is acting with an actor who has acted in the same
film...).

Does the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon website still exist?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 11 days, 16:32.]

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
No doubt it will go on being called a Bacon number in spite of
Kevin Bacon now being discovered not to be the most linkable
actor.

Even more entertaining is http://oracleofbacon.org/star_links.html where
you can link any two celebs. Once in a while I'll try oddball things like:

Jenna Jameson (porn star)
Gordon Lightfoot (Canadian singer/songwriter)

http://oracleofbacon.org/cgi-bin/or...on&secondname=gordon+lightfoot&using=1&game=0

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

André Gillibert

Andy said:
No evidence to hand, but we can provide a proof:

* These are comments according to the spec

* A "user agent" is that which correctly implements the spec.

So there are probably very few user agents on earth.
Among other things:

Is incorrectly interpreted as a paragraph containing "This is a comment!"
by most software claiming to be "browsers".
* "Browsers" are either a form of user agent, or a M$oft product
that's a browser because they tell you it is.

Why would M$oft get the right to decide what a browser is?
Why wouldn't other companies got the same right?
For example, isn't Maxthon Browser a browser?
Actually, I think it's a "thing" that interprets IE comments the same way
as IE, since it uses the Trident engine, but it isn't IE.

Anyway, from an author point of view, treating Maxthon, Avant Browser and
IE equally is the right thing to do.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:31:56
GMT André Gillibert scribed:
So there are probably very few user agents on earth.
Among other things:

Is incorrectly interpreted as a paragraph containing "This is a
comment!" by most software claiming to be "browsers".

Well...

Here's what "it" says:

'White space is not permitted between the markup declaration open delimiter
("<!") and the comment open delimiter ("--"), but is permitted between the
comment close delimiter ("--") and the markup declaration close delimiter
(">"). A common error is to include a string of hyphens ("---") within a
comment. Authors should avoid putting two or more adjacent hyphens inside
comments.'

It's true that there is a string of "--" within the comment, but between
that and the "markup declaration close delimiter" there is _more_ than just
white space. So is the parsing wrong or not? I suggest not.