[Corrected][ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dave Thomas, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas Guest

    Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to =20
    create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce =20=

    that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

    The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

    Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going =20=

    through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120 =20
    pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages =20
    with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are =20=

    updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second =20
    edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book =20=

    is done.

    Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will =20
    track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we =20
    move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has =20=

    stabilized.

    We=92re experimenting with something different for this book. With all =20=

    our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has =20=

    to be bought again. With this edition, we=92re offering substantial =20
    discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or =20=

    PDFs were bought from us).

    To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the =20
    books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log =20
    in to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find =20
    buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

    Enjoy

    Dave Thomas

    Dave Thomas, Dec 13, 2007

  2. Dave Thomas

    Satish Talim Guest

    Dave, I am an existing customer of Pragmatic and my a/c does show all the
    various books I have purchased from them. I wanted to buy this pdf but I
    don't see any discount buttons that you mention. Am I missing something?

    Satish

    Satish Talim, Dec 13, 2007

  3. Dave Thomas

    Guest

    Re: [ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

    Hi Satish,

    On Dec 14, 10:43 am, Satish Talim <> wrote:
    > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
    >
    > Dave, I am an existing customer of Pragmatic and my a/c does show all the
    > various books I have purchased from them. I wanted to buy this pdf but I
    > don't see any discount buttons that you mention. Am I missing something?
    >
    > Satish
    >
    > On Dec 14, 2007 4:38 AM, Dave Thomas <> wrote:
    >

    > > Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
    > > create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
    > > that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

    > > The book's home page is athttp://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

    > > Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going
    > > through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120
    > > pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages
    > > with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are
    > > updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second
    > > edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book
    > > is done.

    > > Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will
    > > track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we
    > > move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has
    > > stabilized.

    > > We're experimenting with something different for this book. With all
    > > our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
    > > to be bought again. With this edition, we're offering substantial
    > > discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
    > > PDFs were bought from us).

    > > To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
    > > books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log
    > > in to your existing account) onhttp://pragprog.com. You'll find
    > > buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

    > > Enjoy

    > > Dave Thomas- Hide quoted text -

    The discount only appeared once the item was added to the cart.
    Have you tried that?

    cheers,

    --
    Mark

    , Dec 14, 2007
  4. Dave Thomas

    Satish Talim Guest

    Re: [ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

    Mark, I did try that but it did not appear. Dave clarified, that the
    discount is only applicable for those who bought the second edition of the
    book from the site.

    Satish

    Satish Talim, Dec 14, 2007