[Corrected][ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

Dave Thomas

Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to =20
create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce =20=

that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going =20=

through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120 =20
pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages =20
with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are =20=

updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second =20
edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book =20=

is done.

Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will =20
track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we =20
move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has =20=

stabilized.

We=92re experimenting with something different for this book. With all =20=

our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has =20=

to be bought again. With this edition, we=92re offering substantial =20
discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or =20=

PDFs were bought from us).

To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the =20
books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log =20
in to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find =20
buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

Enjoy

Dave Thomas

Satish Talim

Dave, I am an existing customer of Pragmatic and my a/c does show all the
various books I have purchased from them. I wanted to buy this pdf but I
don't see any discount buttons that you mention. Am I missing something?

Satish

markonlinux

Hi Satish,

[...]

We're experimenting with something different for this book. With all
our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
to be bought again. With this edition, we're offering substantial
discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
PDFs were bought from us).
To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log
in to your existing account) onhttp://pragprog.com. You'll find
buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

Dave Thomas- Hide quoted text -

The discount only appeared once the item was added to the cart.
Have you tried that?

cheers,

Satish Talim

Mark, I did try that but it did not appear. Dave clarified, that the
discount is only applicable for those who bought the second edition of the
book from the site.

Satish

Hi Satish,