Corss plateform note programme - Where to Start?

jonathanmcw

I'm a noob in C++, thinking about to write a small "BrainStormer"
programme similar to kjot or Post-it Lite but the usage is somewhat
like Magnetic Poetry and Mindmapper (The idea is a long story). There
are a couple things I want:
1. The components has to be able to move around the desktop while the
main-window is minimized (no open close-windows button).
2. Cross plateform
3. Be able to link to the dict.org to check up words (help ppl learn
new vocab, generating word list etc)

Now I'm between Qt and Visual Studio C++ Express (the free version, I
wonder, indeed if I need the full version to get things done. But I'm
just in highschool). I don't know if I can use Qt to build the
BrainStormer that can run on Linux, Windows and Mac with the items be
able to move about without the windows frame. I checked out the Qt
manual and found how I can build a Excel-like program - this is not the
way I want. If following what 3M does
(http://tech.msn.com/guides/itdecision/article.aspx?cp-documentid=103121)
surely I'll have to get hooked to the .Net framework. Consider
something like Yahoo widget I suspect if the program can move in ease
when say... there are about 50 piece of items (note).

Is Qt the right way? I wouldn't mind using the Open-source version to
get it run in GPL license.

MCW

Jonathan Mcdougall

I'm a noob in C++, thinking about to write a small "BrainStormer"
programme similar to kjot or Post-it Lite but the usage is somewhat
like Magnetic Poetry and Mindmapper (The idea is a long story). There
are a couple things I want:
1. The components has to be able to move around the desktop while the
main-window is minimized (no open close-windows button).
2. Cross plateform
3. Be able to link to the dict.org to check up words (help ppl learn
new vocab, generating word list etc)

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8

Jonathan