Corss plateform note programme - Where to Start?

Discussion in 'C++' started by jonathanmcw@gmail.com, May 6, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm a noob in C++, thinking about to write a small "BrainStormer"
    programme similar to kjot or Post-it Lite but the usage is somewhat
    like Magnetic Poetry and Mindmapper (The idea is a long story). There
    are a couple things I want:
    1. The components has to be able to move around the desktop while the
    main-window is minimized (no open close-windows button).
    2. Cross plateform
    3. Be able to link to the dict.org to check up words (help ppl learn
    new vocab, generating word list etc)

    Now I'm between Qt and Visual Studio C++ Express (the free version, I
    wonder, indeed if I need the full version to get things done. But I'm
    just in highschool). I don't know if I can use Qt to build the
    BrainStormer that can run on Linux, Windows and Mac with the items be
    able to move about without the windows frame. I checked out the Qt
    manual and found how I can build a Excel-like program - this is not the
    way I want. If following what 3M does
    (http://tech.msn.com/guides/itdecision/article.aspx?cp-documentid=103121)
    surely I'll have to get hooked to the .Net framework. Consider
    something like Yahoo widget I suspect if the program can move in ease
    when say... there are about 50 piece of items (note).

    Is Qt the right way? I wouldn't mind using the Open-source version to
    get it run in GPL license.

    MCW

    , May 6, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I'm a noob in C++, thinking about to write a small "BrainStormer"
    > programme similar to kjot or Post-it Lite but the usage is somewhat
    > like Magnetic Poetry and Mindmapper (The idea is a long story). There
    > are a couple things I want:
    > 1. The components has to be able to move around the desktop while the
    > main-window is minimized (no open close-windows button).
    > 2. Cross plateform
    > 3. Be able to link to the dict.org to check up words (help ppl learn
    > new vocab, generating word list etc)

    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Mcdougall, May 6, 2006