Could gems upgrade ruby itself?

kernel1983

gems can install and upgrade almost everything for me!

but I wonder if it could upgrade ruby itself?

I'm using ruby 1.82(OS X pre-installed) and I'm too lazy for things
upgraded

cammo

No gems can't, but if you install Ruby with Darwin Ports you could
upgrade it just as easily as you can with gems. Ports is a package
management system, and I love it almost as much as I love gems.

Cam

John Joyce

oh, just don't be lazy.
You just need a little bit of your unix navigation skills to find the
location of Ruby in OSX
You can overwrite it, or you can leave it and install in a new, more
standard, directory.
You'll only have to write something to the Bash .profile or .bashrc
or .bash_login to set the PATH for looking for it.
If you're using any database with it, you will have to do this stuff
anyway.

Just use the tutorial on Hivelogic