    but I wonder if it could upgrade ruby itself?

    I'm using ruby 1.82(OS X pre-installed) and I'm too lazy for things
    upgraded
    kernel1983, Apr 17, 2007

  2. kernel1983

    cammo Guest

    No gems can't, but if you install Ruby with Darwin Ports you could
    upgrade it just as easily as you can with gems. Ports is a package
    management system, and I love it almost as much as I love gems.

    Cam

    cammo, Apr 17, 2007

  3. kernel1983

    John Joyce Guest

    oh, just don't be lazy.
    You just need a little bit of your unix navigation skills to find the
    location of Ruby in OSX
    You can overwrite it, or you can leave it and install in a new, more
    standard, directory.
    You'll only have to write something to the Bash .profile or .bashrc
    or .bash_login to set the PATH for looking for it.
    If you're using any database with it, you will have to do this stuff
    anyway.

    Just use the tutorial on Hivelogic

    John Joyce, Apr 17, 2007