Could not copy temporary files to the output directory -- Again!

MB

I keep getting this error now: Could not copy temporary files to the
output directory.

Now i searched the web and found the same two solutions:

1. Set copy local to true
2. Check for extra backslash in path name

Neither solutions work for me.

Info:
Vs 2003 7.1.3088
..NET 1.1.4322(SP1)
IIS 6.0
frustrated developer (version unknown)

Anyone got a better solution, than continuesly deleting my dll?

Eliyahu Goldin

Does your Asp.Net process have sufficient rights for writing to the
directory? Is the directory local or on a network?

Eliyahu

MB

aspnet account? When using VS 2003, am I not using my domainadmin
credentials?
If I shutdown VS, manually delete the assembly on the remote server,
and then build the assembly again, then it builds ok, but a minor code
change and the error is raised again.
As soon I close VS, the lock is removed, but why is VS locking the
assembly?

I appreciate the help.

Michael Bjerregaard

Incase anyone finds this thread looking for an answer.
What I found was that my assembly was too large, and splitting the
solution into several projects helped, but copying the different
assemblies to the top /bin folder, was a real drag...

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

FYI: You are going to have issues whenever you start copying multiple files
during build. One solution that has helped me a lot is to install a file
lock monitor so i can see exactly what process is causing the copy bombout

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon.com etc

Michael Bjerregaard

Hey Alvin.
The assemblies are compiled into their separate folders, and then copied
manually into the top bin folder. I did try a lock monitor, but I didn't
need one to tell me that VS 2003 was locking my assemblies. It seems
that intellisense engine locks assemblies >64 KB, and so closing VS
removed the lock, but I was unable to build the assemblies while VS 2003
was open.

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

that is so annoying. i had that happen to me today. vs studio locked the
file during a compile and refused to release it thereby throwing a file
access exception. it went away only after a reboot.