Could not copy temporary files to the output directory

Verane

Hi,
I have read the thread named "Could not copy temporary files to the
output directory" on this newsgroup. And I have the same symptoms on
my machine. But I didn't find any solution suitable for me. (I don't
use ASP.NET or any web service at all, only windows forms).

Here is how I work :
I have a solution with 10 projects inside. Each of them is built in a
different directory (MyProject/bin/debug for each project). I have
then a post-build event that copy all those dlls in a single directory
called M:\bin.
(I have done that to avoid compiling all my projects in the same
directory, and because I need them to be in a unique directory to be
able to debug).
Each project has some references on assemblies that come either from
the same solution or from third party components. In each case I set
the reference by brwosing the dll in M:\bin and not using a 'project
reference'.
I always set 'local copy' to true.

the problem is that I randomly get errors that my dll could not been
copied in the output directory or I also get some 'post-build event
failed' when I do re-built.
I sometimes also get the same kind of errors about the .pdb files.

At the moment I do the rebuilt, my application is not runnig. Often I
have those problems just after having opened visual studio, even
before I have run my application once.

The only solution I have found for the moment is to close Visual
Studio, delete the .dll or .pdb and re open visual studio... This is
very annoying, because it takes a long time to open the solution...

Is there something I do wrong ?? Is there a workaround ??

Any help will be appreciated !
Thanks,
Verane.

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN

It is my nightmare. Today I got this error seven times... While closing
VS.NET it gives an error message and ask me to report this bug.... Restarts
VS.NET, and then everything works fine for a while...

Guest

I also have the problem with copying assemblies from time to time. I think
this problem appears because the Visual Studio somehow finds out that another
process is using the dll and it cannot access it to replace with the newly
compiled code. It' s quite amusing because no other process has locked the
dll and after restarting the Visual Studio, the problem disappears. I think
this is bug of the studio and I don't think there is a workaround for it.

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN

I couldn't download hotfix. Microsoft web site gives an error message. Is it
possible to send me this patch?

William F. Robertson, Jr.

Could you open the second link? On the page it instructs to call MS to get
this hotfix.

Here is the phone number you will need to call to get this fix. It is a
free support call. They like to monitor the hotfixes and who is downloading
them. It is not possible to download the hotfix without contacting them.

800.936.5800

Give them the KB article 843370.

They are really nice on the phone and helpful. The first call took about 5
minutes, and within an hour I had the patch.

HTH,

bill