'Could not establish trust relationship' using a new SSL certificate

Trevor Fritz

I have been running my webservice securely now for about a year using
a Verisign SSL certificate. We were up for renewal and we went with
an XRamp certificate that seems to work just fine, however now my
application is throwing the following exception when trying to invoke
a method using https:

The following exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in
'ThreadScheduler.ExecutionThread':

The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust
relationship with remote server.

the webservice still works fine when using a non-secured channel.

furthermore, the answer would be seemingly simple that the XRamp
certificate is sub-standard and you get what you pay for, however when
using ie to go to https://www.mycompany.com/mywebservice.asmx i can
discover / view / test the methods all day long... works great.
anyone have a clue?!?!?!?

Feroze [MSFT]

You should implement an ICertificatePolicy in your app, and see what errors
you are getting from the certificate validation code.

That will help you diagnose the problem.

--
feroze
http://weblogs.asp.net/feroze_daud

Remove "user" from the email address to reply to the author.