Could not establish trust relationship - Webservice error message

Paddy

I know that there are plenty of posts about the problem but I think
mine is a bit different so bear with me.

I am getting a Webservice exception "Could not establish a trust
relationship with the server" on the client side ... but the
certificate on my server is actually generated locally i.e. it is not
from Verisign or Thawte, I generated it using selfssl.exe.

The thing is I can use that certificate while browsing other websites
in the default web site group from the clients. But I cannot use the
web service using the https://myWebservice/Mypage.asmx ... which ends
up throwing the exception stated above.

I can also use the https://myWebservice/Mypage.asmx on the client in IE
which shows up the methods exposed by the webservice. Of course, i
cannot use them as they can be used only from the local machine where
the service is installed i.e. the server. Note that I have installed
the certificates from the main server onto my clients and my (test)
server is now part of the "Trusted Root Certifcation Authorities" on
the client side.

I can probably try manipulating the code to get it working but being a
tester that would take some time as it has to come through development.
Not to mention that the https thing works perfectly without any
modifications for the production servers and client. There , of course,
the certficates are all from Verisign.

So, any help to get this working without any modification of the code
base is appreciated in this case.
- K