"could not find a non-generic method" when creating a very simple example with typed datasets

dave

Hi,

I have searched for the answer for this error message without
success. I have seen the question many times though:)

I create an ASP.NET project (VS 2005, C#), and use a very simple .mdf
file (which I can provide if necessary). I use 'Add new Item' and
pick 'DataSet'. I believe this creates a TypedDataSet, CORRECT? I
take all the defaults as far as Insert, and I pick the advanced tab
and ask for Update Statements and Delete Statements to be generated.
I also ask for concurrency.

I throw a ObjectDataSource on the Page and use the DataSet I just
created. I then throw a GridView on the page and use the
ObjectDataSource just created. I also set it up for Deleting, Editing,
Sorting. I can run the program and see the data, and Sorting works
fine. However, when I hit Delete on a row, nothing happen. When I
edit, it goes into edit mode fine, but when I hit upate, I get:

ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not find a non-generic
method 'Update' that has parameters: date, miles, hours, minutes,
seconds, description, Original_id, Original_date, Original_miles,
Original_hours, Original_minutes, Original_seconds,
Original_description.

What is going on here? I would think this is a pretty simple example
and should work. I have another clue....
Based on reading other newsgroups I tried changing the
OldValuesParamatersFormatString from Original_{0} to {0}. When I do
this, the behavior is reversed, the Update does nothing, the delete
caused an error like the one above.

Like I said, I've seen this question posed many times but I have not
seen an answer. Or I did not understand the answer, I am new to
ASP.NET programming.

If you got this far, thank you, and I would also be curious what
people think of this approach to get data. Would I be better off
writing my own dataclasses for example? Can I use the dataset
approach but not have Visual Studio generate the Update, Delete, etc.
If so, can you give me examples of what they should look like?

Please let me know if I should provide more information or if there is
a more appropriate newsgroup.

With many thanks,

Dave.

SAL

See if this attribute is in the markup for the control:
OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}
if it is, try getting rid of it and see if that stupid error goes away.

If is unlikely that your update method expects any of the original values to
come along for the ride. There's probably a better way to do this but I'm
still really new at this too so it's what I did.

SAL

Oh, more ideas here.
Alternatively, if you want to ensure concurrency, you could write a business
logic layer class that maps to your table adapter. In that class, you could
write an update method that takes the original values plus the new values
that are shown in your code below and check to see if the values have change
since you started your editing session, if they have, you know another user
has changed them and you can ask your user if they want to overwrite the
changed values. Just a thought.

This website talks about a lot of this stuff in tutorial fashion:
http://www.asp.net/learn/dataaccess/tutorial17vb.aspx?tabid=63
I've still come up with a lot of errors and questions though.