"Could not find a part of the path… " error on IIS 6.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by dsh, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. dsh

    dsh Guest

    I have an ASP.NET web application running on a load-balanced Windows
    Server 2003 web farm running IIS 6.0, using Active Directory
    authentication. I'm trying to programmatically create a new directory
    on a different server in the same domain. Before we switched to 2003,
    I was able to simply change the user in the machine.config file to a
    domain user with permissions. In 2003 I have done the following:

    1. Created a new domain user account.
    2. Made this user an Administrator on all servers.
    3. Created a new application pool and set the Identity of the App Pool
    to the new user.
    4. Set my application to use this app pool.
    5. Added this user account to the IIS_WPG group.
    6. Added User Rights of "adjust memory quotas for a process" and
    "Replace a process level token" to this user account.
    7. Used the SETSPN to add a SPN for this user account using syntax
    SETSPN.EXE –A HOST/<computer name> Domain\UserAccount

    I'm still getting the "Could not find a part of the path… " error when
    the System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory method is called.

    Any ideas?

    dsh, Jan 19, 2004

  2. dsh

    Keith Guest

    "Could not find a part of the path. " error on IIS 6.0

    The real issue is how are you authenticating users to the
    website? If you are using an anonymous account, make
    sure that Allow IIS to control password under the
    Anonymous Access section is not enabled. If it is
    enabled, you will not be able to access network
    resources. In this case, you will not be able to write
    to a non-local directory.

    Keith, Feb 1, 2004