    DataObjectTypeName property in ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1'."

    when i try to update a detailgrid or form.
    The detail grid is bound to an objectdatasource control

    Bart, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Based on the error message, are you updating an ObjectDataSource object to
    tthe data source? is there a property named 'COM_NAME' in the object? Are
    you doing some COM interop in your code?

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."

    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Dec 10, 2005

  3. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Hi Kevin,

    The objectdatasource is indeed updating the database.
    There is a COM_NAME field(I have it also on other objectdatasource's)
    The object datasource is calling a webservice proxy generated via WSE 3.0
    When I call the proxy via a winforms client I don't have any problem
    updating the data.

    Thanks
    Bart

    Bart, Dec 11, 2005
  4. Thanks for your response Bart,

    So do you mean that the "COM_NAME" is a normal public field rather than a
    property in your objectdatasoure or the configured dataobject class? If
    so, based on my understanding, those datacontrol which define some XXXField
    property use reflection to dynamically query the member (of that field
    name) in the class, and it only support querying Properties rather than
    field, so if you're using field, I'd suggest you try changing it to
    property instead.... In addition, if convenient, you can also create a
    simplified example of the datasource object you used to us so that we can
    have a more detailed view on it...

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 12, 2005
  5. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Hi Steven,

    below you see my code snipped of the asp.net 2.0 form:

    <asp:FormView ID="FormView1" runat="server" BackColor="LightGoldenrodYellow"
    BorderColor="Tan"
    BorderWidth="1px" CellPadding="2" DataKeyNames="COM_ID"
    DataSourceID="ObjectDataSource1"
    ForeColor="Black" Width="300px"
    meta:resourcekey="FormView1Resource1">
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox ID="COM_NAMETextBox" runat="server"
    Text='<%# Bind("COM_NAME") %>'
    meta:resourcekey="COM_NAMETextBoxResource1"></asp:TextBox></td>
    </asp:FormView>

    ObjectDataSource1 code snipped:

    <asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ObjectDataSource1" runat="server"
    DataObjectTypeName="YCommDataSet+COMPANYDataTable"
    SelectMethod="GetCompany" TypeName="BusinessProxy"
    UpdateMethod="SaveCompany"></asp:ObjectDataSource>

    This is the property COM_NAME generated by the WSE 3.0 tool wsewsdl3.exe:
    public string COM_NAME {
    get {
    return ((string)(this[this.tableCOMPANY.COM_NAMEColumn]));
    }
    set {
    this[this.tableCOMPANY.COM_NAMEColumn] = value;

    Bart, Dec 12, 2005
  6. Hi Bart,

    Thanks for the followup.
    Seems a bit strange. Would you try just creating a list (Array) of the
    objects returned by "GetCompany" method, and directly bind the list to the
    GridView control so see whether it can display well? Or If possible you can
    simplified the WSDL document and paste to me
    so that I can create a proxy class locally and test it ....

> [...]

    | set {
    | this[this.tableCOMPANY.COM_NAMEColumn] = value;
    | }
    | }
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Thanks for your response Bart,
    | >
    | > So do you mean that the "COM_NAME" is a normal public field rather than
    | > property in your objectdatasoure or the configured dataobject class?
    If
    | > so, based on my understanding, those datacontrol which define some
    XXXField
    | > property use reflection to dynamically query the member (of that field
    | > name) in the class, and it only support querying Properties rather than
    | > field, so if you're using field, I'd suggest you try changing it to
    | > property instead.... In addition, if convenient, you can also create
    | > simplified example of the datasource object you used to us so that we

    | > |
    | > | The objectdatasource is indeed updating the database.
    | > | There is a COM_NAME field(I have it also on other objectdatasource's)
    | > | The object datasource is calling a webservice proxy generated via WSE
    3.0
    | > | When I call the proxy via a winforms client I don't have any problem
    | > | updating the data.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > | Bart
    | > |
    | > | "Kevin Yu [MSFT]" wrote:
    | > |

    | > Are

    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 13, 2005
  7. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Hi Steven, showing the data is no problem. The GetCompany funtion works fine.
    It is the update that isn't working and producing this error.

    Can I send you the proxy class by email?

    Thanks
    Bart

    Bart, Dec 13, 2005
  8. Thanks for your response.

    Sorry that I missed the point that the error occur when you updating it....
    well, you can send me that file through the email in my signature(remove
    the "online" in it...), You can also attach a simplifed asp.net page code
    so that I can also have a look...

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmFydA==?=" <>
    | Subject: RE: Could not find a property named in ASP.NET 2.0
    | Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 02:14:03 -0800
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    |
    | Hi Steven, showing the data is no problem. The GetCompany funtion works
    fine.
    | It is the update that isn't working and producing this error.
    |
    | Can I send you the proxy class by email?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Bart
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Bart,
    | >
    | > Thanks for the followup.
    | > Seems a bit strange. Would you try just creating a list (Array) of the
    | > objects returned by "GetCompany" method, and directly bind the list to
    the
    | > GridView control so see whether it can display well? Or If possible you
    can
    | > simplified the WSDL document and paste to me
    | > so that I can create a proxy class locally and test it ....
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmFydA==?=" <>
    | > | Subject: RE: Could not find a property named in ASP.NET 2.0
    | > | Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 04:43:01 -0800
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    | > |
    | > | Hi Steven,
    | > |
    | > | below you see my code snipped of the asp.net 2.0 form:
    | > |
    | > | <asp:FormView ID="FormView1" runat="server"
    | > BackColor="LightGoldenrodYellow"
    | > | BorderColor="Tan"
    | > | BorderWidth="1px" CellPadding="2"
    | > DataKeyNames="COM_ID"
    | > | DataSourceID="ObjectDataSource1"
    | > | ForeColor="Black" Width="300px"
    | > | meta:resourcekey="FormView1Resource1">
    | > | <EditItemTemplate>
    | > | <asp:TextBox ID="COM_NAMETextBox"
    runat="server"
    | > | Text='<%# Bind("COM_NAME") %>'
    | > | meta:resourcekey="COM_NAMETextBoxResource1"></asp:TextBox></td>
    | > | </asp:FormView>
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | ObjectDataSource1 code snipped:
    | > |
    | > | <asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ObjectDataSource1" runat="server"
    | > | DataObjectTypeName="YCommDataSet+COMPANYDataTable"
    | > | SelectMethod="GetCompany" TypeName="BusinessProxy"
    | > | UpdateMethod="SaveCompany"></asp:ObjectDataSource>
    | > |
    | > | This is the property COM_NAME generated by the WSE 3.0 tool
    wsewsdl3.exe:
    | > | public string COM_NAME {
    | > | get {
    | > | return
    ((string)(this[this.tableCOMPANY.COM_NAMEColumn]));
    | > | }
    | > | set {
    | > | this[this.tableCOMPANY.COM_NAMEColumn] = value;
    | > | }
    | > | }
    | > |
    | > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    | > |

    | > If
    | > XXXField
    | > can

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    WSE
    | > 3.0
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    ObjectDataSource
    | > object
    | > object?

    | > no

    | > | > |

    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 14, 2005
  9. Hi Bart,

    I've had a look into the code you sent me. And I think the problem is the
    currently updating model you're using. As for the ASP.NET template
    databound controls (GridView, DetailsView......). They can be bound to a
    List of data (like DataTable, Array, DataView....). However, when
    performing updating or deleting, only single Row(Record) can be passed from
    DataBound control to DataSource control, so your the "UpdateMethod" of
    your BusinessObject defined in the ObjectDataSource must be a function
    which accept a single record object (a DataRow, a object class) rather than
    a DataTable or typedDataTAble.....

    e.g... we should define a method like:

    BusinessProxy.UpdateCompanyTableRow(CompanyTableRow row)

    which accept a class instance which has the property that mapped to the
    fields in the databound control( GridView or DetailsView...)

    rather than BusinessProxy.SaveCompany(CompanyDataTable)

    Thus, we can get why the original page always report "can not found
    property .... error ", yes? Because it try find a "COM_NAME" field on the
    CompanyTable instance which is surely impossible....

    If there anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:49:24 GMT
    | Subject: RE: Could not find a property named in ASP.NET 2.0
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    |
    | Thanks for your response.
    |
    | Sorry that I missed the point that the error occur when you updating
    it....
    | well, you can send me that file through the email in my signature(remove
    | the "online" in it...), You can also attach a simplifed asp.net page code
    | so that I can also have a look...
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Steven Cheng
    | Microsoft Online Support

    | rights.)
    |

    | --------------------
    | | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmFydA==?=" <>
    | | Subject: RE: Could not find a property named in ASP.NET 2.0
    | | Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 02:14:03 -0800
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    | |
    | | Hi Steven, showing the data is no problem. The GetCompany funtion works
    | fine.
    | | It is the update that isn't working and producing this error.
    | |
    | | Can I send you the proxy class by email?
    | |
    | | Thanks
    | | Bart
    | |
    | | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    | |
    | | > Hi Bart,
    | | >
    | | > Thanks for the followup.
    | | > Seems a bit strange. Would you try just creating a list (Array) of
    the
    | | > objects returned by "GetCompany" method, and directly bind the list
    | the
    | | > GridView control so see whether it can display well? Or If possible
    you
    | can
    | | > simplified the WSDL document and paste to me
    | | > so that I can create a proxy class locally and test it ....
    | | >
    | | > Thanks,
    | | >
    | | > Steven Cheng
    | | > Microsoft Online Support
    | | >
    | | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | | > rights.)
    | | >
    | | > --------------------
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > BackColor="LightGoldenrodYellow"
    | | > DataKeyNames="COM_ID"
    | runat="server"
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | wsewsdl3.exe:
    | ((string)(this[this.tableCOMPANY.COM_NAMEColumn]));
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | than
    | class?
    | | > If
    | | > XXXField
    | field
    | than
    | create
    | we
    | | > can

    | no

    | microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    | | > | > |
    | | > | > |
    | objectdatasource's)
    | WSE
    | | > 3.0
    | problem
    | | > | > |
    | | > | > |
    | | > | > |

    | ObjectDataSource
    | | > object
    | | > object?

    | confers
    | | > no

    | | > | > |

    | | > |

    | |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 16, 2005
  10. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Hi, Steven,

    Thanks for clearing this out.
    Now I have the problem that a datarow doesn't have a parameterless contructor.
    Does it mean that I have to create a class with a property for each field?
    Or is there a way to let the wsewsdl3 tool generate it?

    Thanks again

    Bart, Dec 16, 2005
  11. Thanks for your reply Bart,

    I think we have to manually do some modification in the generated proxy
    classes's code. So far the wsewsdl3.exe will only help generate a normal
    standard proxy class and there has few options for defining the detailed
    class's code style, etc.....
    Also, as for ObjectDataSource, it dosn't matter where the class come or how
    does it get generated, but require it to meet the requirements (like the
    default constructor needed....).

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmFydA==?=" <>
    | Subject: RE: Could not find a property named in ASP.NET 2.0
    | Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:04:03 -0800
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    |
    | Hi, Steven,
    |
    | Thanks for clearing this out.
    | Now I have the problem that a datarow doesn't have a parameterless
    contructor.
    | Does it mean that I have to create a class with a property for each field?
    | Or is there a way to let the wsewsdl3 tool generate it?
    |
    | Thanks again
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Bart,
    | >
    | > I've had a look into the code you sent me. And I think the problem is
    the
    | > currently updating model you're using. As for the ASP.NET template
    | > databound controls (GridView, DetailsView......). They can be bound to
    | > List of data (like DataTable, Array, DataView....). However, when
    | > performing updating or deleting, only single Row(Record) can be passed
    from
    | > DataBound control to DataSource control, so your the "UpdateMethod" of
    | > your BusinessObject defined in the ObjectDataSource must be a function
    | > which accept a single record object (a DataRow, a object class) rather
    than
    | > a DataTable or typedDataTAble.....
    | >
    | > e.g... we should define a method like:
    | >
    | > BusinessProxy.UpdateCompanyTableRow(CompanyTableRow row)
    | >
    | > which accept a class instance which has the property that mapped to the
    | > fields in the databound control( GridView or DetailsView...)
    | >
    | > rather than BusinessProxy.SaveCompany(CompanyDataTable)
    | >
    | > Thus, we can get why the original page always report "can not found
    | > property .... error ", yes? Because it try find a "COM_NAME" field on
    the
    | > CompanyTable instance which is surely impossible....
    | >
    | > If there anything unclear, please feel free to post here.
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | > | Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:49:24 GMT
    | > | Subject: RE: Could not find a property named in ASP.NET 2.0
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for your response.
    | > |
    | > | Sorry that I missed the point that the error occur when you updating
    | > it....
    | > | well, you can send me that file through the email in my
    signature(remove
    | > | the "online" in it...), You can also attach a simplifed asp.net page
    code
    | > | so that I can also have a look...
    | > |
    | > | Regards,
    | > |
    | > | Steven Cheng
    | > | Microsoft Online Support
    | > |
    | > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | > | rights.)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --------------------
    | > | |
    | > | fine.
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |

    of
    | > the
    | > | the
    | > you
    | > | can

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | runat="server"
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | wsewsdl3.exe:
    | > | ((string)(this[this.tableCOMPANY.COM_NAMEColumn]));
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |

    | > rather
    | > | than
    | > | class?
    | > some
    | > | field
    | > rather
    | > | than
    | > | create
    | > that
    | > | we

    | > confers
    | > | no

    | > | microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 19, 2005