Could not find installable ISAM.

Brent

Hi, my asp.net c# app is trying to connect to an Access database with a
password and am I getting the error.. Could not find installable ISAM. . If
I connect to one without a password it works fine. I've looked at Q209805
but I don't think that helped. Oledb connection. Here is the one that works
without a password.
OleDbConnection connection = new
OleDbConnection(@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" +

@"Data Source=C:\db2.mdb");

but add uid and pwd on one with a password and I get the error. Please help.

Brent

@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Persist Security
Info=True;Jet OLEDB:Database PWD=abc;User ID=Admin"
also tried
@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Persist Security
Info=True;PWD=abc;User ID=Admin"
and
@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Persist Security
Info=True;Jet OLEDB:Database PWD=abc;UID=Admin"

Paul Clement

¤ @"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Persist Security
¤ Info=True;Jet OLEDB:Database PWD=abc;User ID=Admin"
¤ also tried
¤ @"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Persist Security
¤ Info=True;PWD=abc;User ID=Admin"
¤ and
¤ @"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Persist Security
¤ Info=True;Jet OLEDB:Database PWD=abc;UID=Admin"
¤

Looks like the Jet OLEDB argument is incomplete (in two of your examples) and the Password (not PWD)
parameter is incorrect:

@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Persist Security
Info=True;User ID=Admin;Password=abc"

You may also need to include the path to the System.mdw file if you are implementing user level
security.

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Brent

Hmm, Man, I'm still having problems getting this to work. I have a database
password set, but I am not using user level security. What should my string
be for this? Right now I have the following string, but that gives me the
error that it needs the workgroup information file, which I am not using.
Please help. Thanks!
@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" +

@"Data Source=C:\abc.mdb;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Persist Security
Info=True;" +

@"Password=abc");

Brent

Nevermind, I FINALLY got it. Here's what it was I needed....
@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" +

@"Data Source=C:\db2.mdb;Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;" +

@"Jet OLEDB:Database Password=abc");

I guess it was that I was providing a user password, instead of a database
password. :)