"Could not find the specified membership provider." Error

Andrew Wrigley

Hi

I am getting a "Could not find the specified membership provider." error
when trying to use the membership api.

I can find no documentation on this error, or any other threads. Does
anyone know how I can solve this?

Thanks

Andrew Wrigley

Andrew Wrigley

For the record, this error is caused by the following mistake:

Membership controls have a membershipProvider property that needs setting.
If you set this to a different name than what is in the <providers> section
of web.config, you will get this error.

In my case it gotcha'd me because, after outsourcing the work, we ended up
with two implementations for login procedures that looked very similar. I
was editing the wrong one...

Hope this helps another fool like me.

Andrew Wrigley