Could not initialize class javax.swing.UIManager

Discussion in 'Java' started by gbattine, Sep 13, 2011.

  1. gbattine

    gbattine Guest

    Dear all,
    sorry if I cross-posted this issue both on javafx and swing space,
    cause I think it may interest to both...so cause I've not received any
    reply on other one I try on this one, cause I think it depends most on
    swing than javafx.
    I'm newbie of java technology.
    I need your help to solve my issue.
    I developed a Java fx application and I run it with:

    javafx -classpath application.jar application.Main

    It works on every win 7 system.

    On some xp system (not everyone, only some one) I got this exception:

    java.lang.noclassdeffounderror: Could not initialize class
    javax.swing.UIManager
    at
    programPackage.Main.javafx$run$(Main.fx:29)

    line on which error appears is the following

    for (info: LookAndFeelInfo in UIManager.getInstalledLookAndFeels()) {

    ,

    from this code

    // use NIMBUS look
    try {
    for (info: LookAndFeelInfo in
    UIManager.getInstalledLookAndFeels()) {
    if ("Nimbus".equals(info.getName())) {
    UIManager.setLookAndFeel(info.getClassName());
    break;
    } catch (cEx: Exception) {
    println(cEx.getMessage());
    }

    Could you please help me??
    I'm desperate...I can't reproduce error on each xp system, because on
    most of them application works...only on some xp system it appears.
    I tried to uninstall jre and install latest one and I also updated
    graphic drivers to latest one.

    I hope someone can help me...I can't solve it and I'm crazying.

    Thanks in advance

    gbattine, Sep 13, 2011

  2. gbattine

    gbattine Guest

    On 14 Set, 00:09, gbattine <> wrote:
    > Dear all,
    > sorry if I cross-posted this issue both on javafx and swing space,
    > cause I think it may interest to both...so cause I've not received any
    > reply on other one I try on this one, cause I think it depends most on
    > swing than javafx.
    > I'm newbie of java technology.
    > I need your help to solve my issue.
    > I developed a Java fx application and I run it with:
    >
    > javafx -classpath application.jar application.Main
    >
    > It works on every win 7 system.
    >
    > On some xp system (not everyone, only some one) I got this exception:
    >
    > java.lang.noclassdeffounderror: Could not initialize class
    > javax.swing.UIManager
    > at
    > programPackage.Main.javafx$run$(Main.fx:29)
    >
    > line on which error appears is the following
    >
    > for (info: LookAndFeelInfo in UIManager.getInstalledLookAndFeels()) {
    >
    > ,
    >
    > from this code
    >
    > // use NIMBUS look
    >     try {
    >         for (info: LookAndFeelInfo in
    > UIManager.getInstalledLookAndFeels()) {
    >             if ("Nimbus".equals(info.getName())) {
    >                 UIManager.setLookAndFeel(info.getClassName());
    >                 break;
    >             }
    >         }
    >     } catch (cEx: Exception) {
    >         println(cEx.getMessage());
    >     }
    >
    > Could you please help me??
    > I'm desperate...I can't reproduce error on each xp system, because on
    > most of them application works...only on some xp system it appears.
    > I tried to uninstall jre and install latest one and I also updated
    > graphic drivers to latest one.
    >
    > I hope someone can help me...I can't solve it and I'm crazying.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    no one could help me?
    Thanks

    gbattine, Sep 15, 2011

  3. gbattine

    markspace Guest

    On 9/15/2011 5:18 AM, gbattine wrote:
    >> javafx -classpath application.jar application.Main

    > no one could help me?

    I don't think there's a lot of expertise on JavaFX here. It's not
    exactly a popular programming language or environment.

    So, just to be clear: You have some systems in your possession that
    reproduce the problem, yes?

    Can you post the entire stack trace, and any other messages the system
    produces? These might be important clues.

    Can you create a Short Self-Contained Compilable Example which
    reproduces the problem? Just try that loop at first at the JavaFX entry
    point. Does it fail on the systems known to be not working?

    The short self-contained compilable example is an SSCCE:

    http://sscce.org

    markspace, Sep 15, 2011
  4. gbattine

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:09:03 -0700 (PDT), gbattine
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >UIManager.getInstalledLookAndFeels()) {
    > if ("Nimbus".equals(info.getName())) {

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/laf.html

    The catch is Nimbus is fairly new, and is not available on older
    Javas. Try updating the Java. With any L&F code you pretty well have
    to assume a given L&F may or may not be present. You have to make
    contingencies falling back all the way to default if the ones you want
    are not there. See my code as part of
    http://mindprod.com/products1.html#COMMON3
    for doing that.
    --