could not load file or assembly ASP_WEB_... in ASP.NET 2.0

urs

Two days ago, I built an ASP.NET 2.0 application and published it on a
shared IIS 6 Web server. After publishing, and during the whole day, it
worked fine.

The server remained untouched since. Today, I wanted to access the home
page of the application again with a browser. But instead of the proper
page, I just got an ugly message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'App_Web_rsznkzdo, Version=0.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The
system cannot find the file specified.

the stack trace reads as follows:
[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
'App_Web_rsznkzdo, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find
the file specified.]
ASP.usercontrols_nav_ascx.__BuildControlTree(usercontrols_nav_ascx
__ctrl) +0
ASP.usercontrols_nav_ascx.FrameworkInitialize() +21
System.Web.UI.UserControl.InitializeAsUserControlInternal() +31
System.Web.UI.UserControl.InitializeAsUserControl(Page page) +14
ASP.catalog_main_aspx.__BuildControln1() +53
ASP.catalog_main_aspx.__BuildControll(Control __ctrl) +51
System.Web.UI.CompiledTemplateBuilder.InstantiateIn(Control
container) +12
ASP.masterpages_3col_master.__BuildControll() +105
ASP.masterpages_3col_master.__BuildControlf() +118

ASP.masterpages_3col_master.__BuildControlTree(masterpages_3col_master
__ctrl) +136
ASP.masterpages_3col_master.FrameworkInitialize() +45
System.Web.UI.UserControl.InitializeAsUserControlInternal() +31
System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner,
HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary
contentTemplateCollection) +1978544
System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master() +48
System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage() +18
+543

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

It seems to me like somehow ASP.NET disposed the generated assemblies
in the meantime. Please notice that this application was published by
XCOPY over FTP, that means it is not a precompiled app or something
like this.

How can that happen? I know that I could probably resolve the problem
with restarting IIS, but since I am not the ISP hosting this site, it
is not in my power. Anyway, I think this is a real bug, since I cannot
tell my ISP to just restart the IIS process every now and then. Does
anyone has an idea what is happening here?

Thanks for any help
Urs

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Urs,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, you've deployed an ASP.NET 2.0 web application onto
a hosting server, the application run well intially , but now you're
encountering "cound not load file or assembly..." error when try visting
the web application's home page, yes?

From the callstack and error info, it seems that the page is try locating a
dynamic compiled UserControl class's assembly. Is your web application
purely dynamically compiled without any precompilation? Also, how is the
usercontrol referenced in the home page, is it statically declare in the
aspx template or created dynamically and added into the page's control
collection? Based on my experience, since asp.net 2.0 dynamic compilation
will compile pages or usercontrols in different assemblies, if we dosn't
explictly reference usercontrol (through @reference or @register directive
) in aspx page, the page may fail to locate the Usercontrol's dynamic
generated assembly..... So if this is the case, you can use the following
directive to explicitly reference the usercontrol file in your page which
use that usercontrol:

<%@ Reference VirtualPath="~/Products.ascx" %>

elsewise, I'll do some further research on this...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security