'Could not load file or assembly' every few days - asp.net 1.1

Guest

Hi

I am running a site built on asp.net 1.1 on a windows server 2003 (which is
running asp.net 2.0 - shared hosting at my webhost). The site is low traffic
and very simple (mostly static text apart from a couple of usercontrols that
pull info from a sql db).

The problem I'm getting is that it will run fine for a few days, then
suddenly the following error will occur:
Could not load file or assembly 'Foo, Version=1.0.2388.18427,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Access is
denied.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or
assembly 'Foo, Version=1.0.2388.18427, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.

Source Error:

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine
why the assembly 'Foo, Version=1.0.2388.18427, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind
failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Foo,
Version=1.0.2388.18427, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its
dependencies. Access is denied.]
FooWebsite.FooPage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

I have read various posts on this and other similar issues and the only
resolution seems to be to re-upload one of the DLLs the site uses to its bin
directory. Doing this seems to reset the site and all works fine again.
Obviously this is far from ideal!

From what I've been reading this issue is something to do with permissions
on the Temporary asp.net files folder.

The other annoyance is that this error does not get trapped by my custom
error hander page (as specified in web.config), so I do not receive the
automatic notification I've set up in that page.

Further configuration info:
- I am not using impersonation
- Deployment model is precompiled (isn't that the only option in 1.1?)
- No web farm, single server
- Load Balancing enabled

Any ideas?

thanks

Richard Bysouth

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Richard,

Based on my experience, this kind of "Access Denied" problem when
generating or loading assembly is very likely related to background
Anti-Virus or Indexing service. You can find more information here:

#Diagnose "Access Denied" error on Assembly Loading
http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2004/10/09/240355.aspx

If you do have Anti-Virus or Indexing service running in the background,
you may try excluding the "Temporary ASP.NET Files" folder from the service
and see if it works.

If not, you may try to use File Monitor from http://www.sysinternals.com
and monitor on the server to see the cause of the issue.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to post here if anything is unclear.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

Guest

Walter

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :)

Have passed this information on to my hosting company and will see if they
can fix it - hopefully excluding the temporary asp.net files folder from
antivirus will resolve it.

Richard

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your update.

Please do let me know the result. I will be glad to continue working with
you if it's not the case.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Guest

Walter

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Yes, your solution appears to have resolved the problem perfectly! It took a
bit of convincing to get my hosting company to make the change, but all is
running well again now!

Thanks very much for your help

Richard